Interesting comparison if different 11plus test timing

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
guest201

Re: Interesting comparison if different 11plus test timing

Post by guest201 »

I think as parents we often underestimate what our kids can do and put ideas in their heads about something being too much for them and them getting tired, my DD did the test and she found it difficult as did most children. I dont think it was too much for a child to do a couple of test papers. The children who were stressed and "tired" were in general the ones whose parents put undue pressure on them (some of them without realising) and the parents who then insisted to their children that they "must be tired" after that.
mystery

Post by mystery »

No I don't think a kid would be "tired" as such. But some will concentrate better than others on 200 questions.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

I agree with guest200+ that a key element is attitude. I am thanking my stars that I sat my DD for lots of different types of mocks etc. and one big plus for her has been learning how to face the "impossible", and just keep going. Initially she would down tools and throw a wobbly at the first tricky question-school has been a doddle academically so no experience of failure. Yesterday after non stop complaining about start of year drag (spellings included "and" and "is", year 6-she has a point), some outside observers were in class and the more able were let choose a problem-style maths book- she tore into it and when others wrote "not covered", she tried anyway to figure everything out. She isn't sure her answers were all right, but is still proud for trying hard, and enjoyed it too. It would be really devastating to face an 11+ exam for her without this new found resilience. I hope I can cope as well as her when we get the likely not-so-good news, and can still gain something of value from the whole journey.

If the exam could be finished comfortably in the time allowed, it may not do its job-to select. That is the purpose, right or wrong. Dealing with it is one of life's tough lessons for our families and us as parents.
mystery

Post by mystery »

silverysea wrote:I agree with guest200+ that a key element is attitude. I am thanking my stars that I sat my DD for lots of different types of mocks etc. and one big plus for her has been learning how to face the "impossible", and just keep going. Initially she would down tools and throw a wobbly at the first tricky question-school has been a doddle academically so no experience of failure. Yesterday after non stop complaining about start of year drag (spellings included "and" and "is", year 6-she has a point), some outside observers were in class and the more able were let choose a problem-style maths book- she tore into it and when others wrote "not covered", she tried anyway to figure everything out. She isn't sure her answers were all right, but is still proud for trying hard, and enjoyed it too. It would be really devastating to face an 11+ exam for her without this new found resilience. I hope I can cope as well as her when we get the likely not-so-good news, and can still gain something of value from the whole journey.

If the exam could be finished comfortably in the time allowed, it may not do its job-to select. That is the purpose, right or wrong. Dealing with it is one of life's tough lessons for our families and us as parents.
Yes, a selection test has to be either hard to get right, or hard to finish, or both. However, one has to to be sure that the skills it is testing are the right ones. Is plumping for loads of synonyms and antonyms quickly and finding the right slot fast on your answer sheet a test of the IQ of a ten year old. I am not so sure. Easy questions to produce though.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Hi Mystery,
Out of County children sat the Kent test last Saturday. All 3 tests and a writing exercise which lasted an hour. I was amazed that my son managed it. He normally doesn't put up with more than one hour at home. He has definitely learnt a lot about life, hard work, managing time, working under pressure, prioritising, etc. Whether he gets into a grammar or not, I'm sure we all (my husband, my son and I) have acquired valuable skills.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now