Tips to cope with stress due to huge crowds on the day!!!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Rainysunshine001

Tips to cope with stress due to huge crowds on the day!!!

Post by Rainysunshine001 »

As parents, what would you suggest doing to prepare a child to 'cope' with the huge queues /crowds (& the stress that they might feel as a result) on test day? I'm sure many parents will have this question on their minds and will find any advice/tips useful.
Golightly

Re: Tips to cope with stress due to huge crowds on the day!!

Post by Golightly »

We got there really early, parked up close and stayed in the car drinking hot choc. listening to music and then she just walked straight in. I also was worried about the chaos of it all as I'm not good with crowds. Best of luck!
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

edit
Last edited by FluffyCat on Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modernista

Post by modernista »

Remind her again that you love her whatever the result will be.
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

We got up early, had a nice breakfast and relaxed at home. Arrived at the test centre a little early so no issues parking, were towards the front of the queue and pointed out friends there.

Said that we knew he would do his best and that it was just a test (and that we loved him to bits).
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

Tips :

If you haven't been there before, enter the school postcode on google, click maps and print the streets around. You need to know how to walk from where you park.

If you are a second sitting (not a 9:00 - 9:30 start time) , expect to find parking harder, leave more time so not rushing

When you park, have calm time for a few minutes, eat something (just a little snack, a mini-sausage roll, or fun size chocolate bar etc), also sip from a drink. Treat as settling nerves time

Before you leave make sure you have everything you need, eg 2 pens, 2 pencils, calculator (if required), entry form / candidate number

Try not to mention anything about how important it is whilst queuing (don't want to increase stress levels), remember everyone else in the queue will be nervous (but pointing that out is a mistake)

Don't look worried or be tense (it will be spotted by your child). Think of something else if you are worried such as where shall I stroll to, find a corner shop to buy the reward bar of chocolate for when they come out, basically think of anything but their future and being in an important queue if it stresses you. If you really struggle to cope, then try and get a spouse to do the drop off

Dress DC in comfortable clothes, its not a fashion event, ideally something with some buttons, and thin cardigan that can be removed, exam room temperatures vary a bit and not feeling too hot or too cold is important.

Tell them to ask for the toilet when they get in before the exam (don't want the I think I need to go half an hour in) and can be a rush for toilets between exam papers

Remember they can only do their best, however much you want to find out afterwards let them answer without pushing, don't be alarmed if you hear the question about X was difficult, its natural to remember the ones you couldn't do first as they might have spent some time at the end going back to the questions they didn't fully complete.