standardisation on basis of age

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mike1880

Re: standardisation on basis of age

Post by mike1880 »

The statistics show that top sets are largely filled by autumn/winter children, consequently summer children simply don't receive the same education as older children. There's only so far innate ability will take you.
Tinkus-Pinkus

Post by Tinkus-Pinkus »

countrymum wrote:Having had a premature baby have to say I agree- how can it be fair? My child was born middle of summer but had a due date in the middle of autumn? He is technically IMO in the wrong year and definitely playing catch up to his peers. Of course I'm just glad he's here safe and well so the 11+ palaver really does fade into insignificance when many times I thought I'd never be bringing him home from hospital.

Never say never but no plans for him to go down the same 11+ path as my DD - would I be saying the same if he was born on time and had had that 'extra year'. Who knows.
My DD was only 2 weeks premature, but that would have put her firmly into the next school year, she really struggled for the first 3 years but is doing a bit better now. She is left with legacy of feeling like she is never quite good enough though. I am sure our DS will do fantastically as he gets more mature. Just let him know that it is hard work and motivation that pays in the end, Many of the children that are brightest in primary school amount to nothing because they are not able to self motivate later in life.
Tinkus-Pinkus

Post by Tinkus-Pinkus »

mike1880 wrote:The statistics show that top sets are largely filled by autumn/winter children, consequently summer children simply don't receive the same education as older children. There's only so far innate ability will take you.
Yes, and children do need to be compared with others of their same age, which is exactly what standardisation does. I am not sure why others in this thread keep on saying that children get less or more marks. They are simply compared to others of their age. If those others of their same age get higher marks then they too will need to get a higher mark to pass. How is this unfair?
Tinkus-Pinkus

Post by Tinkus-Pinkus »

bexamy wrote:My daughter is 10 years and 9 months so will be one of the older children expected to score more to pass. She fell ill in December of year 2 and was part time rest of year 2 all of year 3, and then a graduated return to full time schooling in year 4 so that she would return full time for the start of year 5. No allowances will be made for her.
There would be allowances made in an appeal though if you collected the evidence.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

I'm quite convinced standardisation is fair for those roughly born on time and compared with children of the same age. If we are talking about a couple of answers then possibly one exam my DD didn't qualify for, she probably would have had she been a summer born child? However we are born when we are born and as long as compared to children of the same age then I do think is fair. I don't think is a case of having to score more if autumn born, or summer children getting more points - standardisation has always confused me but when you do think of those DC like mine born nearly 12 weeks early, have much catching up to do! I suppose the prem card could be an advantage in an appeal situation. I guess they would need to be significantly premature though.
Tinkus-Pinkus

Post by Tinkus-Pinkus »

countrymum wrote:I'm quite convinced standardisation is fair for those roughly born on time and compared with children of the same age. If we are talking about a couple of answers then possibly one exam my DD didn't qualify for, she probably would have had she been a summer born child? However we are born when we are born and as long as compared to children of the same age then I do think is fair. I don't think is a case of having to score more if autumn born, or summer children getting more points - standardisation has always confused me but when you do think of those DC like mine born nearly 12 weeks early, have much catching up to do! I suppose the prem card could be an advantage in an appeal situation. I guess they would need to be significantly premature though.
I was thinking more of the time off school she had, but I am sure that being premature would count too. Good luck, and lets hope you don't need to go the appeal route.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Thanks Tinkus
This is in regard to my second DC (boy) DD was on time ish - 38 weeks so not technically premature as after 37 weeks, autumn born and now at grammar. She was first born too so lots of one to one time - reckon that's made a difference to her learning, as she had that one to one for nearly 5 years. I suppose then you start thinking about only children and do they progress quicker?

As for DS - as mentioned no plans to repeat 11+ process at all with him. DD reached the grammar standard of level 3 at KS1 - DS is certainly not at that level, however that's just fine :) I gently encourage them both to reach their own very different potentials, and try their best, which thus far they do, which makes me very proud!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now