Weird stuff people do to get their children through

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

Re: Weird stuff people do to get their children through

Post by mystery »

Think us pinkus, on a more serious note I was wondering why you felt that year 6 and year 7 I x l work was no use for the maths. Is it 4 b and 5c work as these are national expectations for those year groups?
poohbear

Post by poohbear »

Love this thread Tinkus, now I don't feel so barmy!

I gave my son high percentage chocolate during the break and the promise of a curry in the evening!! Did the fish oil thing but he doesn't like salmon mores the pity, however loads of broccoli which is his favourite featured high on the menu over the summer.

we also had a completely work free couple of days before the test and the whole day off school I
on test day so he could sleep in and enjoy a full English breakfast.

Hope its worked,.......how am I going to stay sane until results day?? trying to work out plan b for alternative schools if all else does not work, sadly it looks Like it might be expensive.

just read this back - seems to feature a lot of food things.....
bewilderedofglos

Post by bewilderedofglos »

Thank you for such a great thread! If nothing else it has relaxed and cheered me up. I have had good intentions for fish oil, and vitamins, but with two weeks to go, I have only actually managed to print off all of Patricia's compound words and made a pairs game out of them that DD and I play together. Very tame.

I was shocked (but not bothered) to find that any energy drinks are specifically banned during the break for our test day. It makes the whole thing sound like the Olympics. I have visions of them taking hair samples to check for previously consumed drugs!!
MadHatter

Post by MadHatter »

Copious amounts of caffeine, chocolate and red wine.

DS just ate as normal :wink:
Tinkus-Pinkus

Post by Tinkus-Pinkus »

DD has just told me that one of the children doing the 11 plus at the central location in Bucks has been told she will be given a puppy if she passes the 11 plus :roll:
Tinkus-Pinkus

Post by Tinkus-Pinkus »

bewilderedofglos wrote:Thank you for such a great thread! If nothing else it has relaxed and cheered me up.
Glad it has cheered you up, we all need that right now, this is a stressful time my slightly OCD need to read threads on this site is my way of reducing the stress and getting through the wait.
poohbear

Post by poohbear »

MadHatter wrote:Copious amounts of caffeine, chocolate and red wine.
ooh me too!
MadHatter wrote:DS just ate as normal :wink:
Fatnorville

Post by Fatnorville »

I felt our DS prepared well for his tests. The one thing we couldn't practice was recreating the anxiety which DS may have encountered on the day. He is generally very chilled, but was clearly a little nervous whilst waiting to enter the exam room.

To ease the tension, we played a whispered variation of the game eye- spy.

I would discretely nudge by DS and whisper "...see that boy over there, I bet you a tenner he starts crying before section 2..."

"...I hope you don't sit next to that boy over there. He looks like he will wet himself..." and so on.

It eased the tension, made DS feel better about his skills, and forged a little secret bond between us.

(Apologies - A bit harsh and vulgar, but no-one got hurt or intimidated.)
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

As luck would have it, Humphrey the school cat was hanging around outside the test room at our GS and provided a very welcome distraction for the children as they made their way inside! I think Humphrey rather enjoyed the extra attention as well. :D

Needless to say he was back again when they came out and enjoyed the fuss all over again. :lol:
Marylou
Lancashire lass

Post by Lancashire lass »

Tinkus-pinkus....glad to know its not just me going balmy with the OCD with reading through threads on here for stress relief...makes me feel "normal"!!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now