Do you have any idea what your child is learning in maths?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Minesatea

Re: Do you have any idea what your child is learning in math

Post by Minesatea »

Yes,
year 11 statistics controlled assessment
year 9 constructing triangles with compass and ruler
year 4 rounding to nearest 100

My primary child has 3 maths and 3 english targets which he is supposed to be working towards. At the curriculum meeting for the year we were told they should know them, but if not they are on laminated pieces of card in their trays.
My year 9 has a document outlining the topics to be covered each term in every subject this year. Year 11 just says "the gcse course"!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

DG - our local schools were informed by the LA in September 2012 to get their websites 'compliant'. They issued a checklist of things we needed to have and, yes, Ofsted do look at websites before 'visiting'.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

The primary does a beautiful dense curriculum letter every term, on website or paper for those that wish, and they have homework every week to go with it. They also have a mass parent meeting for each class I think every term to tell us the plan/present what they have done. It's the best I've ever seen across 4 primaries over the years.

Haven't the foggiest for the secondary, dd1 does it at school to avoid parental interference.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

I do, yes. But I have y8, y11 and y12, not primary school children.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Year 6 is doing factors.
Year 8 is constructing triangles.

I can (only) tell from the homework.
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

It's all on my dc school's websites, plus a written copy of the curriculum comes home too.

They also do a Maths morning where you can go and join in with a Maths lesson :lol:

Both schools are recent Ofsted Outstanding, and both have excellent communication with parents which is as it should be!
VH73

Post by VH73 »

I think it depends on the school how much they tell you.

My son is in Y5, we get a Curriculum Highlights booklet (on sheet) every term (at the beginning) which tells us what they learn in which subjects. Apart from that, I can find out from his homework and from what he tells me.

I don't know his targets and his levels either. Only his Numeracy passport targets, they sent it home with him to practice.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I am finding the idea that I am supposed to know what my children are learning in Maths vaguely disconcerting.
I am clearly a bad mother - but why would I need to know this information? As long as they have some idea, isn't that what matters?
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Amber wrote:I am finding the idea that I am supposed to know what my children are learning in Maths vaguely disconcerting.
I am clearly a bad mother - but why would I need to know this information? As long as they have some idea, isn't that what matters?
Absolutely Amber (not the bad mother bit!). Mine bring their targets home; they are read and then put on a shelf and never looked at again! They have another set at school, which I assume they refer to in class, and if the teachers want them to reach them, that's down to them!

JD
mystery

Post by mystery »

Amber wrote:I am finding the idea that I am supposed to know what my children are learning in Maths vaguely disconcerting.
Oh don't be disconcerted. I don't think anyone was suggesting that you were supposed to know, or indeed would want to know or need to know.

But for some parents, at some points int time, for some reasons, it could be helpful. But that's another thread.

( However,there is a school of thought which might say that it would be as helpful for parents to get as involved in numeracy as they expected to be in literacy, and that there are similar barriers here in terms if parental education, time, wealth etc).

Hamilton Trust weekly maths plans are the thing in one of my children's year groups.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now