Brilliant Club

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
loonymum

Brilliant Club

Post by loonymum »

Brilliant Club for outstanding pupils?

A friend has mentioned that their school is doing it and as her DC has not been included she is convinced that he has not passed 11 plus. I am not sure exactly what it is so do not know if she is reading too much into it?
Okanagan

Re: Brilliant Club

Post by Okanagan »

This? http://www.thebrilliantclub.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
loonymum

Post by loonymum »

Thanks for this.
I wonder if it is geared at Gifted and Talented and not necessarily those who have passed 11 pass.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Funnily enough I was told about this from the other side only on Saturday. I understand that it is targeted at schools which don't generally send many children to university, in disadvantaged areas of London and the Midlands. I understood that the last place one would find it would be in a grammar school - PhD students go and work with talented children in schools of need. Tell your friend to look out - her child might get me!
loonymum

Post by loonymum »

It sounds great Amber. But my friend's DC is not in the selected group from his state primary school. He is very bright but not G & T.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Well I can't comment on the selection criteria used at his particular school; but I am sure he will get opportunities to develop his talents at a later stage. I am sure it has nothing to do with who passed the 11+. In fact it may be skewed towards those who didn't - I think it is aimed at equalising opportunity.
ElizaBennett

Post by ElizaBennett »

The Brilliant Club is specifically targeted at children who are high achievers or potential high achievers (so not necessarily on the G&T register) but who may have disadvantages that make them less likely to go on to higher education - so a key indicator for schools is children on free school meals. It's intended to provide an opportunity to engage bright children with the possibility of university. I know at our local primary school we didn't have enough children who met the 'ideal profile' and some who did didn't want to take up the place (or their parents weren't interested). But it's not just a club for able children.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now