Cloze tests, 11+ essentials first past the post...OMG!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tiomanisland

Cloze tests, 11+ essentials first past the post...OMG!

Post by Tiomanisland »

We have been doing a few 'first past the post' tests and doing well in the numerical and nvr but the cloze book 1 is another level, is it just me or are the tests in this book quite (very!) challenging? Test D titled The Great Wall of China was done but in much longer than the 5 minutes allowed for the test (15 with me talking it through with him!) And quite a lot of tricky vocab too such as laborious, conscripted, edifice. Text all makes 100% sense to my DS once completed but the tests have been a challenge so far. Anyone else found the same :? Eek, think we need to work a little more on the cloze!
heartmum

Re: Cloze tests, 11+ essentials first past the post...OMG!

Post by heartmum »

... with you there :shock: most of the Cloze tests had DC in a panic, but loved 'The Amazon River' and completed that really quickly (2 mins). However that was because that topic subject had been covered at school and therefore DC knew the words!!! Which proves if schools cover the areas within the curriculum then DCs are able to perform well :?

DCs weakness is reading speed/comprehension so I am focussing on this but not too much as to scare/panic. DC loves maths, currently 5C at school and loves NVR, just got 133 at school test :) and I haven't spent a lot of time of this yet! DCs strength is definitely maths/logical reasoning - now if I could have a magic wand for DCs reading ..... :roll:
Heartmum x x x
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Tiomanisland wrote:We have been doing a few 'first past the post' tests and doing well in the numerical and nvr but the cloze book 1 is another level, is it just me or are the tests in this book quite (very!) challenging? Test D titled The Great Wall of China was done but in much longer than the 5 minutes allowed for the test (15 with me talking it through with him!) And quite a lot of tricky vocab too such as laborious, conscripted, edifice. Text all makes 100% sense to my DS once completed but the tests have been a challenge so far. Anyone else found the same :? Eek, think we need to work a little more on the cloze!
This one is a swine, see posts in slow and steady thread. Don't panic!

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... na#p423484" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cocoa0101

Post by cocoa0101 »

Hi

All my tutees are finding that book very challenging. What I have done is to give them some of the very tricky vocab to learn before doing the test to make it less daunting and to see if they can put it into context when doing the actual cloze test. You might also try 'Contemporary Cloze', by George Moore. This is nicely challenging and you could come back to the other one later.