That’s because those who miss the grades at 11 do worse than under the comprehensive system. Children are more perceptive than we realise: if they go to a second-class school, they behave like they’re second-class pupils.
Instead of improving the other schools, the left-wing solution is to abolish the first class schools, so that all schools are second class schools.
Great! But then there would be outstanding comprehensives. These should be abolished as well, so the children going in other comprehensives should not feel bad as it should be imagined, same logic as quoted above, that if they are going to poor schools, they would behave poorly.
Is it really worth sacrificing 80% of our youth just so that a small minority can benefit from what is a perceived better education?
What a logic? If 20% of the population is doing well, then it must be 'sacrificing the remaining 80%. No body should progress so that others won't feel bad. Let's have great communist society, so that every one gets the same income. You know what, it didn't work and it won't in future either.
I don't always agree with Tony Blair, but here is what he thought about abolishing grammars.
However, in his autobiography A Journey, former Labour Prime Minister Tony Blair asserted that the way grammar schools were abandoned in favour of comprehensive schools was tantamount to "academic vandalism".
Greatest dis-service done by Shirley Williams/Tony Crosland (both privately educated) and Labour Party to the education in our country.