Tatler publishes guide to Britain's best state schools

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ToadMum

Re: Tatler publishes guide to Britain's best state schools

Post by ToadMum »

I was just heaving a sigh of relief that none of our local schools had caught the journalist's attention :lol:

There is actually a lovely view out to sea (okay, estuary) from the top floor of DS1 and DD's school, but mercifully neither that nor the fact that the place nurtured both Rachel Riley and Ruby Tandoh was apparently enough to tempt.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Whooooooo :?: :lol:never heard of them?
ConfusedFather

Post by ConfusedFather »

aliportico wrote:What a random selection :-)

Cherwell presumably because of all the lovely North Oxford families there - it's a good school but their results aren't stellar.
Sorry to bump that old thread, but it's the only place on this forum where Cherwell is mentioned.

Why would you say it isn't stellar? As I gathered, it's amongst the best for non-selective state schools, it's average A level grades are good, and it manages about 8% to Oxbridge, which is way better than most Outstanding comprehensive schools (top grammar are more around the 15% mark).
Doesn't it sound as a good backup plan if someone cannot make it to a top GS or top selective independent?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It doesn't suit everyone - I've known students go there with fantastic GCSE results and then bomb at A level.
ConfusedFather

Post by ConfusedFather »

Guest55 wrote:It doesn't suit everyone - I've known students go there with fantastic GCSE results and then bomb at A level.
Due to what aspect of the school in particular? Too demanding? Or too posh? Drugs?
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

JamesDean wrote:Primaries - http://www.tatler.com/news/articles/jan ... --part-one" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JD
Darn it had I but known sooner could have plonked my lot at FiL to be educated. Not that he'd have been very impressed :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now