Could a child be unsuccessful because of a tutor?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

nyr

Re: Could a child be unsuccessful because of a tutor?

Post by nyr »

I think that the standard required at the 11+ exams for some selectives is very high. The analysis required seems to be reaching GCSE standard and I think parental involvement is very important.

My 8 year old DD passed her Grade 5 music theory with a merit because I worked out what was being assessed and taught her the material during the lull between DS's QE exam in September and her theory exam in November. A short sharp solution to the problem of being stuck at Grade 5 practical. It was very much the same with DS two years earlier. For each DC, we once went to a tutor for help with the creative and subjective part of the exam (composition), which proved to be very productive. I know of much older children who'd been going regularly to the same excellent tutor for much longer but had no parental assistance and achieved a lower mark in the exam. DC had the benefit of guidance from a parent who had the motivation to identify each and every weakness and provide the required explanation.

My DC find it much easier to study if something tricky is explained while being cuddled in a DP's lap or holding a DP's hand. So, if you're interested enough in your child's education to pay for a private tutor then why not go a step further and get involved.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

nyr wrote: My DC find it much easier to study if something tricky is explained while being cuddled in a DP's lap or holding a DP's hand. So, if you're interested enough in your child's education to pay for a private tutor then why not go a step further and get involved.
Not just us then.

DD often did 11+ prep sat next to me on the sofa, rather than at a table. This I usually involved my arm around her as well.
Now in year 7 and she refuses to do homework at her desk, but prefers being sprawled out on the living room floor.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

There is a tuition centre near to us which is teaching VR codes etc when the local 11+ exam doesn't include them, and hasn't for a number of years. Although they do advertise their course as "11+ and entrance exam" preparation so I suppose they are covering themselves by saying that. Anyone paying for the service as 11+ only prep would be getting some irrelevant tuition though, which presumably most don't realise as they always seem to have plenty of takers.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Funnily enough ds3 has started doing his sand s maths book in his bed, holding his blanky..only since xmas, he does it quicker, and with less fuss, then he comes down and we mark it together, and resolve any gaps or errors. His blanky has never left the house, so I better not let it get too much magic power as it is not sitting the test with him :lol:
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

that is fantastic sb3. very good score indeed. I caught my dd saying to her older friend last night 'I am good at NVR but I don't really like it that much'.

In terms of the tutor topic, I can't agree more that, with or without the tutor, parents need to be well informed about what is required (at times, I even have to revisit my own maths skills to remind myself before I even attempt to correct dd) for the area, time allowed, etc etc. If nothing, at least to make sure the tutor is on the right path...

But I am not sure if the tutor will happily tell me which source each of the photocopied piece of paper from. But I have to confess that I haven't asked and been declined, and so it is a presumption. Perhaps any tutors over here would like to give their perspective.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

In my opinion the materials used are part of the tutor service offered and belong to you as part of what you are paying for. Ask the tutor to write on top of the sheet where it comes from. If He/She is writing their own material, then they can tell you that. You need to be fully involved in the process and aware of what areas need more help. Do you get regular updates? How much time a week is your dc with the tutor? DG
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

wildwest wrote:But I am not sure if the tutor will happily tell me which source each of the photocopied piece of paper from. But I have to confess that I haven't asked and been declined, and so it is a presumption. Perhaps any tutors over here would like to give their perspective.
I am not a tutor, but "photocopied pieces of paper" raise alarm bells with me. Reputable tutors do not photocopy materials because it is a breach of copyright. They might do so in an emergency, such as a key item being out of print at the wrong moment, but not on a regular basis.

I make allowances for the possibility that they are creating their own materials and then photocopying or printing them but ... :?:

I agree with DG - ask the question and see what the answer is.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I would ask. When I started trying to work with a particular tutor she decided to sack me. It was a big relief as I had found her unpleasant and some of the maths methods she taught required re-teaching. It isn't rocket science and there are no grounds for added mystery.

If he or she is nice and a good teacher they should be delighted you are interested.
nyr

Post by nyr »

Yes, it's a good idea to limit the powers of blanky. The cuddling and holding hands approach slightly backfired on us as DD just couldn't sit at the desk for 2 hours. It was all a bit too much and she walked out of the exam room after about 65 minutes! Still, I'm not complaining as she achieved the main objective.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

'Blanky' could be worn under a shirt though ...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now