Suited to grammar??

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
onebigdilemma

Suited to grammar??

Post by onebigdilemma »

My son is bright but his main love is maths. He enjoys maths and NVR but gets no enjoyment from literacy. He reads but only when told too!! Spelling is terrible!! I worry that if he did get into a grammar how he would cope, especially with learning 2 languages.
I know many boys are more maths/science focused, do they manage ok in a more pressured environment than just a comprehensive?
kenyancowgirl

Re: Suited to grammar??

Post by kenyancowgirl »

You sound like you are describing ds1! He loved maths and was described as "seeing numbers" when diagnosed as showing asd behaviours. He was very good at NVR and really not so interested in English, although he was also able, he just didn't get it in the same way. He got to gs and didn't particularly like his maths teacher...he still achieves very highly but has flown in English, winning the English prize at the end of the first year, above kids from the year ahead. He is also flying with Latin (logical), French (doesn't like) and Spanish (loves).
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

onebigdilemma wrote:My son is bright but his main love is maths. He enjoys maths and NVR but gets no enjoyment from literacy. He reads but only when told too!! Spelling is terrible!! I worry that if he did get into a grammar how he would cope, especially with learning 2 languages.
I know many boys are more maths/science focused, do they manage ok in a more pressured environment than just a comprehensive?

I hate to say it, because I hate the whole principle of 11+ testing, but maybe you should just let the test decide. When and if he gets to grammar he can always leave and go to a comp if it does not suit him, the other way round is much trickier so give him a chance.
My friends son left grammar after year 7, hated the languages, and not great at literacy, he us now in fast track group for maths at upper, and has a maths tutor for his very high level of mathematical ability twice a week, one session he does in school time.
Test the water...what is to lose, certainly not pride, that is for fools.
onebigdilemma

Post by onebigdilemma »

Thank you for the replies.
I guess as you say we take the test and take it from there. He may not get in so I wouldn't have the decision to make!
I wouldn't want to not give him the opportunity. I may be under estimating his abilities and/or thinking how I would cope rather than him (IYKWIM).
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

This is purely from my experience :wink: (disclaimer - my year 5 exam results read English 41% Maths 98%)

I reckon if your DS is bright enough and enjoys doing maths then they can focus and learn to do the English etc that they need at GS, however they do have to work at it and probably put in a bit more effort than they might want. It tends to be so much nicer doing subjects that you find easier :oops:
VH73

Post by VH73 »

My son is the same, very good at Maths but not that good at Literacy, but since we're doing 11+ practice and tutoring he got to the top from Literacy too. He doesn't like it, prefers maths, but can do well with his logic. If it's not enough to get into a Grammar, he doesn't belong there.

I agree with the others, let the test decide.
eal238

Post by eal238 »

My DS1 has just sat the 11+ for our local grammar and sounds very similar to your DS - he's maths/science inclined, having excelled in maths from a tender age. His English, however, is average at best. I think the only difference is that he devours book upon book - he loves to read. It's all there, he's a free reader, he talks properly and has a wide vocabularly etc, but getting it down on paper, he lacks in spelling, grammar, handwriting, the use of written English is poor in comparison to his spoken English.

When he came out of the exams (smiling, hurrah!), he did say he struggled with the English, particularly the comprehension - which was an older style of English and not something he had encountered before, at school or at home.

He's been called back for an interview though... I think they look for the potential to build upon, as opposed to it all already being there, in all arenas. It's fine to have a weakness in a particular area, some things just don't come as naturally as they do to others - as long as the 'spark' is there.

I would say go for it. From the moment we took our son to the open day at the local grammar, that's where he's aspired to be. It's not something either myself or his dad had planned for, and we applied late in the day, so aside from doing a few mock papers to familiarise him with the format and the language used and calibre of the questions asked, he really had very little preparation and passed the entrance exams on his own merit (he's currently attending a fairly average local state - with excellent teachers), and has so far made it to the interview stage!
ginx

Post by ginx »

From reading your comments, is it true it's mostly boys who love maths?

Have your sons always loved maths?

My ds2 is only in year 3, but he has loved maths since he could count. He is a wild, boisterous boy, and to get him to sit still I just ask him to do his 34 times table (or any number). Of course he can't, but he's happy to sit there adding on in 34's and writing it. He loves making things, has helped measure, make bird boxes, curtains, cupboards, cakes, all sorts of things. He loves numbers. His problem in year 3 is showing his working out because he "just knows" some things. And he knows them very quickly.

But he doesn't read despite many attempts to encourage him. I have no idea about the 11+ and haven't looked round the boys grammar, but already I can see him loving dt, textiles, art, product design, food tech - and maths! Not English or languages. He wants to be a builder. I'm all for it. He can build us a house - and he'll always have work. :D
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

I have a Dd who loves maths, her maths CAT score and nvr score were very high, the vr much lower. She can see the answer in maths and so showing her workings is a pain or so she thinks. Her literacy on the other hand is only good when inspired. She reads and reads, she can spell and if asked to write a story can write some amazing, inspired stories with rich language. Ask her to do any 11+ comprehension and she struggles to see the answers unless it is spelt out to her, let alone infer from the text. I am just hoping the changes to our local GS exams will be of benefit to her.

DS is also very maths orientated, finding the maths at his GS suits his ability but he is near the bottom of his class for spelling. He has been offered an extra English class, along with some other boys in an attempt to bring their English up, he has found he is at the top of the group though. I put it down to him being a lazy speller and doesn't like to check his work and at times his handwriting is awful, but I am sure it's part of being a boy.

But DS does like to read, it can be books or the Beano, which the head of English thinks is good as the main thing he is reading. He has found reading the Brackenbelly books fun and I would suggest them for reluctant boys.
eal238

Post by eal238 »

I don't think it's necessarily that they 'love' maths, but boys seem to excel in maths (which probably leads to the 'love' of maths - because they can do it!) as opposed to girls, statistically speaking - though I believe the gap closes as boys/girls get older in terms of achievement.

Edit: I just wanted to add, I'm not trying to insinuate girls are never any good at maths, at school, I excelled within maths too, just that my theory as to why it seems common place for boys to be mathematically inclined, is possibly down to nature (brains wired for it) before nurture even takes affect.
Last edited by eal238 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now