Durham CEM 11+ - So far so good?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

Re: Durham CEM 11+ - So far so good?

Post by mystery »

Great stats Pippi - the change was startling (not).
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

One of the biggest issues for pupil premium students in Warwickshire, of course, is that we offer an opt in system to the 11+ and, frankly, they don't always have the parental support needed to opt in. I mean this in terms of parental awareness, ability to get them to the test etc and, as the state schools are not allowed to assist/promote the 11+, they are not "helped" in any way to find out relevant information. I would be far more interested in similar stats in a county that has an opt in system to see if CEM had made any difference.
pippi

Post by pippi »

Apparently Bucks have published some actual data on this years tests:
http://www.localschoolsnetwork.org.uk/2 ... selective/

CEM assessments are "designed to enable all children to demonstrate their natural ability and achievement without excessive preparation". What's "excessive"? More than was needed to pass? More than everyone else?
"We firmly believe that children should not be tutored for our selection assessments"...
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Does anyone have a link to the bcc report these stats came from? I didn't think they had officially published anything yet. Also this report keeps referring to "gaining a gs place", but obviously that has not happened yet, only the potential to gain a place. Also everyone I speak to suggests the 2003 cohort for bucks is a very very low on number year, this seems to be widely recognised by teachers in the area, yet apparently bucks had 300 more sitters from local state schools.

I would need to see the raw stats really to interpret properly, although I do suspect the article is correct, just flawed.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

pippi wrote:
CEM assessments are "designed to enable all children to demonstrate their natural ability and achievement without excessive preparation". What's "excessive"? More than was needed to pass? More than everyone else?
"We firmly believe that children should not be tutored for our selection assessments"...
Is there any stat showing percentage of tutored(including prep schools and home tutored) vs non tutored children who passed the 2013 CEM.

I really doubt if children can pass any 11+ on their own i.e without tutoring or parental help.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

...and I really doubt you would ever get a true stat showing which kids had been tutored or not!! :wink:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Bucks was opt out in the past. Was it opt in or opt out in the first year of CEM?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

The kids in state catchment schools are all "opt out" not sure about partner Indies, but obviously non partner Indies are opt in, as are kids that live in catchment but are schooled in out of catchment primaries.
pippi

Post by pippi »

Some comments from Bucks Grammar School Heads (defending the old VR tests to the OSA, September 2010):
Any replacement for VR testing is likely to be more susceptible to ‘coaching’.
‘A battery of tests’ would seem to lose sight of the child and has the potential to increase stress and serve only to alienate the very cohorts [XX] seems concerned about.."
‘using this line of argument, those from disadvantaged backgrounds or minority ethnic backgrounds may be ‘put off’ by a battery of tests, finding it overwhelming and confusing. Eleven plus testing is after all a matter of choice, not compulsory. Some parents may opt out of a ‘battery’ approach in the best interests of their child.
Those who achieve less well at 11 often achieve highly later in their school career.
The 'battery' of tests was VR+NVR+maths...
mystery

Post by mystery »

So why did they change their minds? And what is the OSA?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now