Grammar Schools Ranking in London/Greater London Please

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Daogroupie

Re: Grammar Schools Ranking in London/Greater London Please

Post by Daogroupie »

Dame Alice Owen's in Potters Bar has a sibling and a distance policy and good primary schools nearby. You need to be very close to the school to get a distance place but if your elder dc sits the exam and gets a place your younger dc will get a place as a sibling. I know families who have relocated there and are thriving. DG
VanillaLatte

Post by VanillaLatte »

Thank you for all replies, you are very helpful. I guess that we will move further to the elective schools in Bromley then, just was unsure whether m y strategy is correct or not.
Yes, all areas have bad schools, we are close to downham, i wish someone has advised me 7 years ago not to buy there.

I also read that if you are working in the desired school chances are better. Not that i will do it for now, but who knows?
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

We deliberately moved to an area that really does have no bad schools, (now so full you can't get in anywhere) but they are still overcrowded ordinary state schools, just with some richer more demanding parents driving up standards a bit. If I had it to do over I would rent a house next to a good grammar school before the eldest was in year 5. In our case I would have chosen DAO or maybe Watford, other areas I don't know well but ?tiffin, latimer? With a boy and a girl, avoid single sex unless cross sibling policy like Watford; deffo u want sibling priority also.
VanillaLatte

Post by VanillaLatte »

silverysea wrote:We deliberately moved to an area that really does have no bad schools, (now so full you can't get in anywhere) but they are still overcrowded ordinary state schools, just with some richer more demanding parents driving up standards a bit. If I had it to do over I would rent a house next to a good grammar school before the eldest was in year 5. In our case I would have chosen DAO or maybe Watford, other areas I don't know well but ?tiffin, latimer? With a boy and a girl, avoid single sex unless cross sibling policy like Watford; deffo u want sibling priority also.
Yes, with a boy and girl I guess I am more keen to move further in Bromley. I have heard about Langley as well, although it is not on the tables, but recommended by my English teacher.

Thank you!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

A top of the league, superb grammar school with assured place on distance & sibling/cross sibling criteria, preferably with no 11plus test. :wink: