City of London 10+ v. Dame Alice Owens 11+

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tiffinboys

Re: City of London 10+ v. Dame Alice Owens 11+

Post by tiffinboys »

Having read the 'experts' views, I tend to agree more with DG, though I would give quite a free and leisurely time to DCs as well. My DC came from a State primary and got into one of the well known grammar school; but boy, could it happen without hard work? I don't think so, based on my experience with my DC and looking at so many children from our State school.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, me too. I see several children at my children's primary who I think could (raw intelligence-wise) pass the Kent test (which is not superselective - top 25% get through) but they won't because they have had a very weak primary education. It happens there every year. It's sad because the non-selectives in our particular neck of the woods don't make a good job of picking up the pieces. A good comprehensive could but round here they don't.

DAO is talking about very picky schools so it's even more likely that some kind of preparation over and above what a weak primary school provides is necessary for quite a few children - and that preparation could take different forms (including years out of school .... mine would learn more!)
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

In my experience, need for preparation and leisure time would vary from child to child. Some children get better with repetition while others go down the hill. In my own dcs I have seen this variation, no superior/inferior just a different approach. My quick learner often forgets quickly and slow learner retains knowledge much longer. The quick learner wants to go ahead quickly, do papers and then plug the gaps. The slow learner wants to learn the modules perfectly then go to the papers so there is no/least going back to plug the gaps. I think both approaches are fine.
Many children have the ability but if they are not exposed to the exam techniques, syllabus then they will suffer in the exams.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now