which grammars are super selective??

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Amber

Re: which grammars are super selective??

Post by Amber »

parent2013 wrote:Superselective = No age benefit to summer born children (usually)

In comparison to other GS, expect very tough papers which may also include creative writing element to filter out children who can only do VR/NVR/Maths
I have never heard of anywhere not standardising for age at 11+
And all the exams in Gloucestershire have been only VR forever. Until this year.

I was just working out my colour-coding system and it seems we are back on topic again. Drat.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I remembered seeing this same thread question from years back.2009

Chelmsford mum wrote pretty much the same reply as parent 2013 with this lovely added on sentence:
Super selection does not make a better school just widens the pool for the school to fish from.
I fully understand that the schools top the results league table, but cannot help thinking the very bright children at Judd would have got just as good a results if they lived in bucks and went to rgs and they would have saved themselves the humiliation of having our boys beat them at rugby. :wink:
Amber

Post by Amber »

There is also an argument which goes that a school which has creamed off the top-performing kids for a radius of about 100 miles doesn't have to try very hard to get good results.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

but cannot help thinking the very bright children at Judd would have got just as good a results if they lived in bucks
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-25849550" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ....(find Judd, find Bucks schools....)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That is not a proof! Take the top 5% of a Bucks GS intake and then compare them ...

I think perhaps these schools should have tests for parents to make sure they are suitable to have children at a 'super' selective school. :lol:
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

...just stirring the pot!

This parent lives in North London and has daughters at/going to St Michael's Grammar....a superselective everyone always forgets about but is the Sunday Times People Power School of the Year, often outperforms the much touted HBS and QE Boys as well as Latymer, and always in the top 40 for GCSE and A level....it does exist and can be seen here.... http://www.st-michaels.barnet.sch.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I've just remembered a friend's eventful plane journey. Living in Africa, they do things differently there. Planes routinely overbook passengers - which can cause problems. My friend had confirmed his seat but some others weren't so lucky. The solution? Those without confirmed seats had their suitcases lined up on the runway. They were then told to run all the way round the plane and back to their cases, with the first ones back getting the seats! I kid you not! I think the superselectives have missed a trick really...
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

parent2013 wrote:Superselective =

No catchment (usually)
No sibling policy
No age benefit to summer born children (usually)

Large number of candidates for very less seats (as it is a much sought after school)

In comparison to other GS, expect very tough papers which may also include creative writing element to filter out children who can only do VR/NVR/Maths

In South - Olave's, Wilson & Judd (No offence to Bexley, Sutton, Tiffin & other Kent schools)
In North - Habs, QE. Not sure about others.

It is driven by GCSE/A level score & % Oxbridge/Medical after they pass from school.

I think the topic has changed from "which grammars are super selective" to "why some grammars are super selective"? :D
You forgot, must be in the home counties... :lol: :lol:
doodles

Post by doodles »

2Girlsmum wrote:Too many grouped around the top scores......head circumference at birth, standardised to 40 weeks.

That would put both my DS's (but particularly DS 1)in the flipping genius catagory :lol:

In this part of (what is obviously considered to be less than academic) Kent both TOGS and Skinners' are considered superselective - I will now run for cover before those north of the M25 start taking pot shots again!!
tense

Post by tense »

Amber wrote:There is also an argument which goes that a school which has creamed off the top-performing kids for a radius of about 100 miles doesn't have to try very hard to get good results.
And sometimes from even further afield! Every year on the Herts section there are parents posting to say their DS has got QE boys & now they need recommendations about where to move to so they can actually get to the school. I am still shocked by one family years ago who were living in Newcastle at the time of application :shock:

It's sad really. Such pressure on the DC.