Clueless- would like to start preparing 3 year old....

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nefertete

Re: Clueless- would like to start preparing 3 year old....

Post by nefertete »

From my observations, a lot of parents do not do any of this stuff with their children, either because they are not bothered that much about developing their child (thinking it will happen naturally anyway) or because they do not realise it is really important and could make a lot of difference. It doesn't mean they do not love their children, I know a lot f parents who obviously do love their children, but they do not make conscious effort to teach their kids anything, they just let them play by themselves, or let them watch tv or play computer games, because it is easier. These things are not always so obvious, lots of parents think a 3 year old is too small to learn alphabet or counting, when in fact they are not.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

nefertete wrote:From my observations, a lot of parents do not do any of this stuff with their children, either because they are not bothered that much about developing their child (thinking it will happen naturally anyway) or because they do not realise it is really important and could make a lot of difference. It doesn't mean they do not love their children, I know a lot f parents who obviously do love their children, but they do not make conscious effort to teach their kids anything, they just let them play by themselves, or let them watch tv or play computer games, because it is easier. These things are not always so obvious, lots of parents think a 3 year old is too small to learn alphabet or counting, when in fact they are not.
I would never have started counting or letters with my twins before school. They were not interested and I wouldn't dream of persuading them. Totally different if your children want to do it of course. Mine didn't. Having said that, we read to them from day 2 after birth, extensively, no screens and surrounded by books. I talked and talked and talked to them. Both qualified for grammar and learnt to read as quickly as their peers when they began school.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Copella, you beat me to it! Yes, nefertete's suggestions are fantastic but are about good parenting, not 11plus preparation. We should all be doing interesting things with our children, whatever school they end up going to. Pink pearl, don't even think about the 11plus yet - just have fun doing all those things naturally and being a great parent. They grow up so fast. I look back with envy on my younger self, who had the time and energy to do all those lovely activities with her children when they were three years old. And by the way a grammar school is just a school with a lot of bright kids in it. It's the same curriculum as every other state school...
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Remember your child is unique. He or she may or may not be ready for the skills on offer so don't get too set on being able to do particular things early etc. You can do lots of play and read plenty of stories, sing silly rhymes and practice skills like getting dressed and undressed, bake cakes, play in mud, scribble with crayons and leave the formal reading and writing until they get to school. DS was not reading until 5-6 and writing properly until 7-8 and has still ended up with a reading age of 15+ at 11 and a place at a grammar school
Amber

Post by Amber »

With some luck by the time a 3 year old is old enough to take the 11 plus it will have been abandoned.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

nefertete wrote:From my observations, a lot of parents do not do any of this stuff with their children, either because they are not bothered that much about developing their child (thinking it will happen naturally anyway) or because they do not realise it is really important and could make a lot of difference. It doesn't mean they do not love their children, I know a lot f parents who obviously do love their children, but they do not make conscious effort to teach their kids anything, they just let them play by themselves, or let them watch tv or play computer games, because it is easier. These things are not always so obvious, lots of parents think a 3 year old is too small to learn alphabet or counting, when in fact they are not.
Some parents are not bothered and let their kids play by themselves because they want their kids to be themselves. IMO, one can never be happy until one is oneself.
I think making poor helpless children (or anyone for that reason) do something against their wish is deep down violence… of course i understand the limitations of this.
Also, some parents don't want to start stuffing their children with books, toys, puzzles, computer games .… because they want to wait till 7 years when the child is developing the capacity to learn.

Agree with Amber, 11plus may not exist or may even change completely making previous preparation irrelevant.

ps. No offence to anybody. Just my views.
Amber

Post by Amber »

nefertete wrote: lots of parents think a 3 year old is too small to learn alphabet or counting, when in fact they are not.
Other opinions are available. Big world out there.
Immortal Dreams

Post by Immortal Dreams »

Personally I feel children should definitely know their alphabet by nursery or reception, and how to count by reception. What nefertete (sp?) said sounds to me, like copella said, basic good parenting. I am aware many parents don't do this sort of thing, but it helps children so much. However if your sole aim in doing this is to get your child into a grammar school, perhaps you should rethink your priorities. Is said child even in primary school yet? I am horrified at parents who start preparing in Years 2 or 3, never mind at this age. Talk to them in proper english, ensure they know the words for things around them, read to them a lot, let them splash in puddles and play as much as they want and hopefully you will have not only an intelligent child but also a happy one.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

My daughter wanted to know what signs meant, she loved counting and making up rhymes..my son really couldn't be bothered..

Both learnt at their own pace, went to uni and are their own people - you are ready when you are ready

I refused to go to university,as school suggested, because I didn't want to be a teacher. 40 years on, with a degree in chemistry (at 33) I am in a job I love and have been doing for 20 years, I am a teacher..and a much better one than if I had been pushed into uni at 18.
PinkPearl

Post by PinkPearl »

Thanks for your reply but I don't think nefertete and I meant making a child do something they are not interested. What's wrong with getting say a 3 year old a jigsaw puzzle (problem solving skills) aimed at 3 year old and introducing it to see if they want to put together a puzzle. If they don't put it away and let them do something else.

No offence to anybody either just trying to understand different views:)

berks_mum wrote:
Some parents are not bothered and let their kids play by themselves because they want their kids to be themselves. IMO, one can never be happy until one is oneself.
I think making poor helpless children (or anyone for that reason) do something against their wish is deep down violence… of course i understand the limitations of this.
Also, some parents don't want to start stuffing their children with books, toys, puzzles, computer games .… because they want to wait till 7 years when the child is developing the capacity to learn.

Agree with Amber, 11plus may not exist or may even change completely making previous preparation irrelevant.

ps. No offence to anybody. Just my views.