Where should we start? DD is currently in Year Four.

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SouthWiltsGrammer

Re: Where should we start? DD is currently in Year Four.

Post by SouthWiltsGrammer »

parent2013 wrote:Some of the websites are good to build foundation in Y3 and Y4. But from Y5, the material in the market is better (Bond, GL etc) followed by other high end stuff for super selectives.

Thank you, I'm looking for paper/workbook stuff/games over computer/screen. I should have mentioned that at the beginning. Although I am keeping the rice website in mind for vocab.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Has anyone used mathletics ?

cheers
mystery

Post by mystery »

If your test is definitely GL I would definitely recommend the Peter Robson Practise and Pass books - they are specifically intended to prepare for GL papers. There are three books for each subject and are available in the four GL subjects of maths, english, vr and nvr. You wouldn't need all four subjects.

They are not perfect - there are some mistakes in some of the answers in some of the books but they're pretty good for what you are wanting and a non-threatening way of starting to do very short timed sections.

I discovered these late on in year 5 and wish I had found them earlier. I'm going to do them with my soon to be year 4 child next year I think. I haven't use the third book in each subject - these are test papers written by Peter Robson. Doing the 8 familiarisation papers in each subject published by GL Assessment seems like enough. I would recommend buying these at the start so that you can see what you are aiming at by having a good scan through them yourself. The books by GL assessment called "VR explained", "NVR explained" etc are also good for the relevant subjects (don't think they are available in all four subjects but you would find the VR one good for sure. They also can be taken in little chunks and are very clear. They also suggest little games and things to help with weaker spots.

You will then be in a better position to see if any workbooks, tutors etc that you do consider are the right preparation or are just barking up the wrong tree.

I think if you focus on this GL type material you will then get the idea if there are areas where you need to take a step back and do some easier groundbreaking work first.
salsa

Post by salsa »

mystery wrote:If your test is definitely GL I would definitely recommend the Peter Robson Practise and Pass books - they are specifically intended to prepare for GL papers. There are three books for each subject and are available in the four GL subjects of maths, english, vr and nvr. You wouldn't need all four subjects.

They are not perfect - there are some mistakes in some of the answers in some of the books but they're pretty good for what you are wanting and a non-threatening way of starting to do very short timed sections.

I discovered these late on in year 5 and wish I had found them earlier. I'm going to do them with my soon to be year 4 child next year I think. I haven't use the third book in each subject - these are test papers written by Peter Robson. Doing the 8 familiarisation papers in each subject published by GL Assessment seems like enough. I would recommend buying these at the start so that you can see what you are aiming at by having a good scan through them yourself. The books by GL assessment called "VR explained", "NVR explained" etc are also good for the relevant subjects (don't think they are available in all four subjects but you would find the VR one good for sure. They also can be taken in little chunks and are very clear. They also suggest little games and things to help with weaker spots.

You will then be in a better position to see if any workbooks, tutors etc that you do consider are the right preparation or are just barking up the wrong tree.

I think if you focus on this GL type material you will then get the idea if there are areas where you need to take a step back and do some easier groundbreaking work first.
Hi mystery,
Thanks for that information. I found the books on-line, but not much explanation as to the age range. Would you then begin with book 1 for a year 4 child?
Thanks!
mystery

Post by mystery »

I think that would probably be fine.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Thanks!
SouthWiltsGrammer

Post by SouthWiltsGrammer »

mystery wrote:If your test is definitely GL I would definitely recommend the Peter Robson Practise and Pass books - they are specifically intended to prepare for GL papers. There are three books for each subject and are available in the four GL subjects of maths, english, vr and nvr. You wouldn't need all four subjects.

Hello, me again, just about to purchase some books, did you mean the Peter Williams practice and pass books not peter Robson?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh yes, I am sorry I got his surname wrong. Thanks for saying.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Really? I definitely got Peter Robson and the books are great !
kateJ

Post by kateJ »

The Peter Robson books are very good for teaching and drilling, the Peter Willliams books are good for test practice a they are wordy and timed.

:)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now