Where should we start? DD is currently in Year Four.

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Daogroupie

Re: Where should we start? DD is currently in Year Four.

Post by Daogroupie »

A lot of the publishers do starter series for nine to ten years olds which are good. How is she finding the IPS? What are her current sats levels? DG
SouthWiltsGrammer

Post by SouthWiltsGrammer »

Daogroupie wrote:A lot of the publishers do starter series for nine to ten years olds which are good. How is she finding the IPS? What are her current sats levels? DG
She's finding the IPS series fine, but that was only the starter book so I'm assuming it's less difficult? She seems to enjoy them and 'get' them quite quickly unless she comes up against a brick wall with a couple of the types.

We've just had her report recently and her levels that were written in that were:
Reading: 4b
Writing: 4c
Speak/listen: 4

Numeracy: 3a

I'm scared you're going to say her levels aren't good enough? :( I know her up numeracy is her weakest area but I'm hoping we can work on that. That's why I'm starting in 11+ prep early. Tell me if I'm being wildly unrealistic though. I'm going to keep checking back now to see if you reply :?
rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

3a is very close to 4c so dont worry. Dont know about you but where we live a good level 5 knowledege is sufficient and with 17 months to go your dd is on target for that. Maths is also something that can improve quickly. My ds was in a similar position and he did very well. Hope this helps.
SouthWiltsGrammer

rabbie burns wrote:3a is very close to 4c so dont worry. Dont know about you but where we live a good level 5 knowledege is sufficient and with 17 months to go your dd is on target for that. Maths is also something that can improve quickly. My ds was in a similar position and he did very well. Hope this helps.

Thank you, you've made me feel so much better!!! :D I really appreciate it, I least I don't feel silly giving it ago now. :D :D
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The old adage "you have got to be in it to win it" has never been truer with Grammar Schools. You MAY not get a place if you do not score highly enough in the test, true, but if you don't sit the test, you DEFINITELY won't get a place!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Her English scores are excellent and you have plenty of time to pull her numeracy score up. Do you know which areas she is weak on? I think you are being very sensible and your dd is lucky to have you as a mother. DG
SouthWiltsGrammer

Daogroupie wrote:Her English scores are excellent and you have plenty of time to pull her numeracy score up. Do you know which areas she is weak on? I think you are being very sensible and your dd is lucky to have you as a mother. DG
Thank you and thank you so much for being so encouraging.

I just asked her about her weaknesses in Maths and she thinks it is multiplication and fractions. When we have parents evening before the summer I will ask her teacher for it in detail so we can address it over the summer holidays.

I'm not sure what to go onto next. DD has asked to go onto Maths, I do like something structured as I find it easier but I'm not sure what to choose.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

The following work book imo is fab for times tables as it moves away from drills, onto mixed use:

Scofield and simms
Times Tables Tests Book 2 (of 2): Key Stage 2, Years 3 - 6 (Answer Books also available)

If it is even a bit tricky, start book 1 and save book 2 for later, as times tables need to be imprinted, not calculated....something my ds3 still does. :roll: bless him.

For fractions in year 4, she will just have to learn what the most common fractions mean, by rote. Eg. A third is one piece of a pie cut into 3

They do not start using fractions in sums until year 5, and then they start relating percentages to decimals to fractions, and doing simple sums.

Try aunties pasta game for basics, and it is fun, followed by fraction snap.

In year four, I would very much consider focussing on boosting her confidence in general maths and English subjects and not even touch verbal reasoning puzzles. Think more of it as helping her with her schoolwork and not practising for the 11+

Your school (if state) have to publish or make available the termly learning objectives, you can go through the first four weeks of this term in half term and see what she did so far in the summer term and if she got in a pickle with any of it. In between having lots of fun that is!
dartmum2

Post by dartmum2 »

Hi

I'm not familiar with the exact test format in your area, but I am in Kent and it's test is GL assessment currently too. I have recently been using the English and Maths Peter Williams Practice and Pass books with my second daughter. I wish I had discovered them last year before my first daughter took the test.

My second daughter is in a split year 4/5 class and takes her test this September. Unfortunately (I think partly because she is in with younger children) she has not yet been taught a lot of the maths topics that are needed to pass the test. (They only started learning about mode, mean, median and range last week in school!). I have found that the maths books cover the topics that she has not yet been taught quite succinctly.

The books are split into small 10 or 15 minute bites and comprise of a short lesson and then some timed questions. I think they are a good starting point and are ideal for a child to work through by themselves (with a little bit if adult input). I don't know what his VR book is like, but it might be worth a look at too.

Do be aware that a couple of the answers given in the back of the books are incorrect, but don't let that put you off..
SouthWiltsGrammer

southbucks3 wrote:The following work book imo is fab for times tables as it moves away from drills, onto mixed use:

Scofield and simms
Times Tables Tests Book 2 (of 2): Key Stage 2, Years 3 - 6 (Answer Books also available)

If it is even a bit tricky, start book 1 and save book 2 for later, as times tables need to be imprinted, not calculated....something my ds3 still does. :roll: bless him.

For fractions in year 4, she will just have to learn what the most common fractions mean, by rote. Eg. A third is one piece of a pie cut into 3

They do not start using fractions in sums until year 5, and then they start relating percentages to decimals to fractions, and doing simple sums.

Try aunties pasta game for basics, and it is fun, followed by fraction snap.

In year four, I would very much consider focussing on boosting her confidence in general maths and English subjects and not even touch verbal reasoning puzzles. Think more of it as helping her with her schoolwork and not practising for the 11+

Your school (if state) have to publish or make available the termly learning objectives, you can go through the first four weeks of this term in half term and see what she did so far in the summer term and if she got in a pickle with any of it. In between having lots of fun that is!
Thank you so much for these suggestions.

Do you know I hadn't even thought of playing games with her to help her with her maths? She will love sitting down with me and doing that! I was focusing on work books as I have dyslexia and so struggle keeping everything in line and being scatty and disorganised, so I work well with timetables/books to work through and it keeps me organised. I will definitely get those games so thank you for suggesting them. We will make sure we have lots of fun during the holidays too though but just do a little bit every day to keep on top of everything. There are so many hours to fill in a day while they're in holiday I find, it's good to have stuff to do :D so this will be a good 'segment'.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now