Where should we start? DD is currently in Year Four.

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

southbucks3

Re: Where should we start? DD is currently in Year Four.

Post by southbucks3 »

Having just had a look, pizza fraction fun junior, and pizza fraction bingo, both by learning resources, cover more fractions than aunties, and are a bit cheaper. :D

Same fun concept though
SouthWiltsGrammer

Post by SouthWiltsGrammer »

dartmum2 wrote:Hi

I'm not familiar with the exact test format in your area, but I am in Kent and it's test is GL assessment currently too. I have recently been using the English and Maths Peter Williams Practice and Pass books with my second daughter. I wish I had discovered them last year before my first daughter took the test.

My second daughter is in a split year 4/5 class and takes her test this September. Unfortunately (I think partly because she is in with younger children) she has not yet been taught a lot of the maths topics that are needed to pass the test. (They only started learning about mode, mean, median and range last week in school!). I have found that the maths books cover the topics that she has not yet been taught quite succinctly.

The books are split into small 10 or 15 minute bites and comprise of a short lesson and then some timed questions. I think they are a good starting point and are ideal for a child to work through by themselves (with a little bit if adult input). I don't know what his VR book is like, but it might be worth a look at too.

Do be aware that a couple of the answers given in the back of the books are incorrect, but don't let that put you off..
Thank you, I will look into this, I like the sound of it. 10-15 minutes bites sounds perfect as a revision type thing. Let's hope I can spot the incorrect answers :oops:
SouthWiltsGrammer

southbucks3 wrote:Having just had a look, pizza fraction fun junior, and pizza fraction bingo, both by learning resources, cover more fractions than aunties, and are a bit cheaper. :D

Same fun concept though
Brilliant, thank you, they do look fab!
SouthWiltsGrammer

I've also found Fraction Action Snap for 7+ which looks good.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

SouthWiltsGrammer wrote:I've also found Fraction Action Snap for 7+ which looks good.
I use that in school, the children love it. There are other maths snap ones too
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

yoyo123 wrote:
SouthWiltsGrammer wrote:I've also found Fraction Action Snap for 7+ which looks good.
I use that in school, the children love it. There are other maths snap ones too

Yep, that is the one we have too...what I meant by fraction snap, we also have maths snap plus.

I have more success playing pairs with ds3 than snap, purely because his competitive mum :oops: tends to shout snap first, far too often to be fair. :lol:

Have fun. :D
SouthWiltsGrammer

southbucks3 wrote:The following work book imo is fab for times tables as it moves away from drills, onto mixed use:

Scofield and simms
Times Tables Tests Book 2 (of 2): Key Stage 2, Years 3 - 6 (Answer Books also available)

If it is even a bit tricky, start book 1 and save book 2 for later, as times tables need to be imprinted, not calculated....something my ds3 still does. :roll: bless him.

For fractions in year 4, she will just have to learn what the most common fractions mean, by rote. Eg. A third is one piece of a pie cut into 3

They do not start using fractions in sums until year 5, and then they start relating percentages to decimals to fractions, and doing simple sums.

Try aunties pasta game for basics, and it is fun, followed by fraction snap.

In year four, I would very much consider focussing on boosting her confidence in general maths and English subjects and not even touch verbal reasoning puzzles. Think more of it as helping her with her schoolwork and not practising for the 11+

Your school (if state) have to publish or make available the termly learning objectives, you can go through the first four weeks of this term in half term and see what she did so far in the summer term and if she got in a pickle with any of it. In between having lots of fun that is!
I'm adding the scofield and Simms books to my basket do I need to add the answer books or should I just work out the answers myself do you think? The answer books are more expensive than the actual test books. They look like a great series of books. I might get some for my younger DD who is in key stage one.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

few links for you.

These games test speed and accuracy, and are fun!!

http://www.arcademicskillbuilders.com/g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... eteor.html

http://www.oswego.org/ocsd-web/games/Gh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... /gbcd.html

http://www.bgfl.org/bgfl/custom/resourc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... index.html

http://www.primaryresources.co.uk/online/moonmaths.swf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are plenty more maths games on woodlands junior site

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... index.html

sheppard software site has some very good free games, on all sorts of maths subjects.

one of teh main things you can do is get her really fast at her tables, they come into almost all the maths on 5 &6 and knowing them speeds up answering the questions, leaving more time for the tricky bits.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Out of laziness I bought an answer book, but tbh you don't need them, the only ther thing is if you will use it twice it is better value for money, you could ask dd1 to write on separate paper, or buy another question book in anticipation. They are more expensive because the quality is higher and made to last better.

The plus side is that the more devious kids cannot look in the back of the book and cheat. :twisted:

By the time they are in year 8 some of us :oops: definitely need answers to their work sheets when they ask for help!
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

Some of the websites are good to build foundation in Y3 and Y4. But from Y5, the material in the market is better (Bond, GL etc) followed by other high end stuff for super selectives.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now