Bromley (Bexley/Orpington) vs. Surrey Grammars

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

VanillaLatte

Bromley (Bexley/Orpington) vs. Surrey Grammars

Post by VanillaLatte »

We are reviewing areas with good range of grammar schools, have DS and DD, so girls and boys school. Were determined to move to Orpington for St. Olaves and Newsted wood, but need alternatives in case DS and DD do not get accepted. In this relation what option is better: surrey or bexley/orpongton for more options please?

Any parent comments or experiences are welcome. Concidered bexley/orpington for commute to the city.
Twinkle

Re: Bromley (Bexley/Orpington) vs. Surrey Grammars

Post by Twinkle »

Have you thought about the Kent grammars? Tonbridge is accessible from Orpington. Judd for boys and TOGS for girls. Both schools are superselective though.
VanillaLatte

Post by VanillaLatte »

Twinkle wrote:Have you thought about the Kent grammars? Tonbridge is accessible from Orpington. Judd for boys and TOGS for girls. Both schools are superselective though.
Thanks for the hint. Yes, I was reviewing these options too.
How long is the journey from orpington to tonbridge?
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Not sure. I would imagine its about 20 / 25 mins on the train. Best to look at the National Rail website.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/t ... w/1600/dep

There you go :)

Just under 20 minutes for most journeys and about 4 trains an hour, by the looks of things.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
VanillaLatte

Post by VanillaLatte »

ToadMum wrote:http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/t ... w/1600/dep

There you go :)

Just under 20 minutes for most journeys and about 4 trains an hour, by the looks of things.

Thank you, this is great, not too far at all. What are the other options in case ds+dd do not get admitted? Just exploring all options and being realistic

Much appreciated.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

There are grammar schools in Bexley. Beths, and Chis and Sids are the ones I am aware of. There are also the Dartford Grammar schools but I don't know how easy they are to get to from Orpington / Bexley. The Bexley and Kent schools have different tests. With all of these you need to check admissions criteria re catchment.