Hiring private tutors is insane, says head

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Hiring private tutors is insane, says head

Post by mystery »

Head of Cumnor House prep school says in the Times today that "children with tutors were less likely to put their hand in class if they didn't understand".

Maybe he has done a good piece of research at his prep school to prove his hypothesis but I suspect not. I don't know where the huge quote from him in the Times today has come from. Has he spoken recently at a prep school conference or something? If it was just to Cumnor House parents why does it warrant so many column inches in the Times today with a tutor bashing headline "hiring private tutors is insane, says head". I'm not a tutor but if I was I'd be very annoyed with the Times for yet another of these one sided silly articles which keep on appearing in respectable newspapers about tutoring.

It's a shame the way it is presented in the Times though. Hopefully he is right that Cumnor House is very good and there is no need to have private tuition as well .... but he's certainly not in the position for his words to necessarily be relevant to all parents of children at all schools across the country.

I don't find these sweeping statements particularly considered or well thought out. It wouldn't attract me to pay £6,000 a term for a day pupil at his school.