Newbie help!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
NewToThisFourm

Newbie help!

Post by NewToThisFourm »

Helo All,
My DS is currently in Y3 and will be going to Y4 in September 2014. I am based in Basingstoke, Hants and am planning to appear for the 11+ entrance exams in the following schools

Slough Consortium
Reading Grammar
Burnham Grammar

I am willing / OK to relocate to somewhere in and around Langley. Do you think relocating is something that must be done? Especially considering most schools have some kind of preferred areas?

Secondly how do you go about preparing for these exams? Currently my DS is doing Bond 11+ for 8-9 and is fairly competent with it. Do you think just Bond 11+ books should be good enough? I guess not. Any suggestions on what book(s) one has to follow?

Also I hear a lot about 11+ coaching. Is it a must one has to enroll for these coaching sessions?

KR
berks_mum

Re: Newbie help!

Post by berks_mum »

NewToThisFourm wrote:Helo All,
My DS is currently in Y3 and will be going to Y4 in September 2014. I am based in Basingstoke, Hants and am planning to appear for the 11+ entrance exams in the following schools

Slough Consortium
Reading Grammar
Burnham Grammar

I am willing / OK to relocate to somewhere in and around Langley. Do you think relocating is something that must be done? Especially considering most schools have some kind of preferred areas?
Reading Grammar has a designated catchment area and I don't know which post codes of Langley are in/out. They have a list of post code son their website.
http://www.reading-school.co.uk/26/admi ... guidelines" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(scroll down to the bottom of the page to see designated area post codes).

Slough consortium, Langley has a designated area and not all berks regions are in the designated area of Langley. The other three Slough schools have some other constraints - score,distance,faith. Their websites will show you respective criteria.
Burnham grammar is in bucks county. I don't know the exact catchment rules for Burnham grammar.

For some schools (e.g. Kendrick), possibly for Langley and Reading as well, you have to be in catchment before you apply to sit the test.

Secondly how do you go about preparing for these exams? Currently my DS is doing Bond 11+ for 8-9 and is fairly competent with it. Do you think just Bond 11+ books should be good enough? I guess not. Any suggestions on what book(s) one has to follow?
I don't know about study books, but going through a variety of papers at later stages helps to build confidence. More coverage is better.
Also I hear a lot about 11+ coaching. Is it a must one has to enroll for these coaching sessions?

KR
If you are confident of DIY approach then coaching is not necessary. But DIY approach is not suitable for you/your DC then coaching can be helpful.
scary mum

Re: Newbie help!

Post by scary mum »

Burnham Grammar has a catchment, but the area usually goes out a long way. The address you are living at on October 1st of year 6 (ie just after the test) is the one that counts. I'm not sure you would get in from Basingstoke as BGS is becoming more popular, and I certainly wouldn't recommend travelling from Basingstoke for 7 years.
scary mum