Another "tutor-proof" test..

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
southbucks3

Re: Another "tutor-proof" test..

Post by southbucks3 »

Let's be honest, we parents have created this monster, by trying to get one over on the kid next door. What started as a bit of a push, evolved to work books, then tutoring, now work books, aps, internet maths courses, tutoring and mock tests. What next hypnotherapy? Any test at any affordable level will be open to distorted results by tutoring and year 5, 11+focused (normally indie) school education. Making the tests harder or faster is certainly just fuelling parental desire to push harder and pay more.

The answer is to wave a magic wand and begin again from scratch, but that is a no can do, the real answer is no differentiation between any state sector schools anywhere in the uk, but that's a no can do.
Life is unfortunately set to torment us parents who seek the best education for our children and have no money for private schools as an alternative to state. Parents who smply wish for extremely good quality teaching at high-mid to lower ability levels as well as highly academic levels, rather than pushing our children into an educational environment where they are permanently in need of extra support.

That includes no religious selective schools btw. I really wanted to deface the smug newspaper picture of David cameron bragging about his marvellous state school the other day.....that just happens to be a state religious school, with exceptional standards! (As I was in a supermarket I may have got told to buy the paper though. :lol: )
mad?

Post by mad? »

Spot on SB3 and absolutely +1 with ridiculous implication that David Cameron is participating in the mainstream education available to most of us.
mad?
marigold

Post by marigold »

Have you read the spoof column by Sam Cam today in The Guardian ? She is whooping about never having to go to Church again now they have got Florence into the school. I wonder how many other parents have also hung up their hassocks this term ?
mystery

Post by mystery »

I don't see how parents can be blamed for false claims that a test is tutor-proof.
mystery

Post by mystery »

pippi wrote:http://www.courier.co.uk/Judd-School-s- ... story.html
Robert Masters wrote:A new “tutor-proof” Kent Test is being launched this September by Kent County Council, but Mr Masters believes it will still favour middle-class families able to pay for coaching. "It is easy to write a fair test – it is impossible to ensure people have the same preparation".
KS2 SATS? wrote:The test would only include a syllabus taught in primary schools up to Year 5 and so eliminate the need for intensive coaching. He said Judd governors were keen to see a new test focusing on maths and English.
It is easy to write a fair test, but... wrote:He also said he would like to see a system in which pupils with hidden potential could be selected by a school panel. “The difficulty is subjectivity. I am not allowed to interview and not allowed to do anything subjective but that is exactly what you need to do.” And: "The child would benefit from coming to your school – we know they are bright enough but they might not do well in test".
Every quote is a gem! I love the way he rubbishes the new KCC 11+ before revealing his own brilliant test, and then volunteers that a "school panel" (illegal?) is actually what you need to identify the "hidden potential" of children who might not do well in the test...
Has he changed his admission policy yet to include more FSM children? Other schools have already done it - if he is keen for social equality or whatever the quotes say, why are the changes so slow coming through in the school admissions policy? Or are the Governors not keen?
Lillie

Post by Lillie »

[quote][/quote]

Spot on, SB3. I think the hypnotherapy is a good idea - for us parents!

I do really wonder if the grammar heads actually believe in these tests themselves?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

southbucks3 wrote:Let's be honest, we parents have created this monster, by trying to get one over on the kid next door. What started as a bit of a push, evolved to work books, then tutoring, now work books, aps, internet maths courses, tutoring and mock tests. What next hypnotherapy? Any test at any affordable level will be open to distorted results by tutoring and year 5, 11+focused (normally indie) school education. Making the tests harder or faster is certainly just fuelling parental desire to push harder and pay more.

The answer is to wave a magic wand and begin again from scratch, but that is a no can do, the real answer is no differentiation between any state sector schools anywhere in the uk, but that's a no can do.
Life is unfortunately set to torment us parents who seek the best education for our children and have no money for private schools as an alternative to state. Parents who smply wish for extremely good quality teaching at high-mid to lower ability levels as well as highly academic levels, rather than pushing our children into an educational environment where they are permanently in need of extra support.

That includes no religious selective schools btw. I really wanted to deface the smug newspaper picture of David cameron bragging about his marvellous state school the other day.....that just happens to be a state religious school, with exceptional standards! (As I was in a supermarket I may have got told to buy the paper though. :lol: )
Well said, SB3. My blackberry vodka is all yours (no need of an exchange for the oak leaf gin, or whatever it was :))
scary mum
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

marigold wrote:Have you read the spoof column by Sam Cam today in The Guardian ? She is whooping about never having to go to Church again now they have got Florence into the school. I wonder how many other parents have also hung up their hassocks this term ?

I have now. :lol: very very funny, thank you!

Scary....dh has drunk the Urine coloured beech leaf vodka thankfully....He got rather protective over me dissing it! :lol: I am coming round after school to get my blackberry vodka though.....yum!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now