Level 6s at your school anyone?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

Level 6s at your school anyone?

Post by mystery »

Our school didn't seem to bother teaching or entering children up until this year. One year left and this year they seemed to give it a shot. Don't know if anyone achieved it though.

Interesting thread on tes community in the primary forum called "level 6s anyone".
ToadMum

Re: Level 6s at your school anyone?

Post by ToadMum »

I know that in DD's year - 2012 - they only entered pupils for the Maths and of the 7 who entered, 2 achieved the level 6. DD wasn't one of them :roll: but it hasn't really held her back.

No idea at all about 2013. This year, DS2 achieved the level 6 in all three papers; one of the others got either the Maths or the two English ones. Again, I think there were a handful of entries for either or both, but I don.t think DS2 knows how any of the others got on.

DD discovered that she hadn't got the level 6 when the teacher started the lesson by congratulating the two out of the seven entered who had...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mystery

Post by mystery »

That's a bit flat-footed. Why do people forget children have feelings?

The level 6 reading sounds pretty impossible to get year after year. How did your son nail it?

Thing that saddens me is how many schools do the level 6 material in what should be the child's recreation time. I sort of understand this in a school where level 6 material is way beyond the horizon of everyone but a tiny minority but I would have thought there would be more schools e.g. Ones with a good chunk of children getting high fives each year, where covering the necessary bits of level 6 could be done as part of differentiated lessons and differentiated homework.

This is effectively how it is going to have to be done with the new national curriculum where the higher level material is effectively going to be subsumed into the harder questions towards the end of the regular papers.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

Ds did level 6 maths and was in the level 6 maths reading group last year. His school took the level 6 maths group out from their normal maths lesson as they had an extra teacher for maths. The reading group went out as normal for guided reading.
IronMikeTyson

Post by IronMikeTyson »

DD did level 6 Maths and English. She was not happy about the extra work involved after doing selective exams.
"To err is human;to forgive ,divine"
mystery

Post by mystery »

Why did it feel like extra work rather than business as usual at her school? And what was the English - was that the SPAG paper and the reading paper? Was it the fact that she had to do three more exams than the others that she didn't like?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

three more exams
Four actually - there are two maths papers.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Possibly four yes - maybe three or four depending on what "English" meant - spag, reading or both.
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

interesting...

At what point in time do the schools actually make the decision as to who should be entered for Level 6 tests? And on what basis?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Their names have to be entered sometime in March of year 6. The guidance says they should enter children who are performing above level 5. So this assumes they have been taught some above level 5 material before the decision.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now