GL pack1, pack 2 scores

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

Re: GL pack1, pack 2 scores

Post by mystery »

Wild West, which subjects does your gl test cover? We are in kent which has just started to include all four gl subjects. So theoretically we need to do pack 1 and pack 2 in all four subjects amounting to 32 papers.

But, ours (kent) could deviate from the question types in the familiarisation packs. We know that some additional question types related to spatial reasoning could be added, but there could be other "surprise" changes too.

We don't know what the timing will be either - whether more or less generous than the average time per question allowed in the familiarisation packs.
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

mystery,

In our CEM, we have VR, Eng, Maths and NVR and the GL packs that I have consist of 16 papers (4 papers in each subjects)

All the knowledge that I have about CEM, is only given by the forum members over here and I am indebted to them.

I don't think the website is updated regarding the NFER/GL papers, because, over here, it says that there have been no new materials released by NFER. However, tiffinboys suggests that the pack 2 (so, another 16 papers) has been around since 2012.
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

Please be aware the NFER/GL/Letts are not really that relevant to CEM style exams.

Of course pay attention to synonyms, antonyms, odd ones out and the odd maths questions here or there. The English comp and punctuation questions could be useful but CEM NVR is of a different nature altogether.

Mystery, a few years back a tutor had scans on their website which were available as free downloads. They happen to be the really old VR Packs (8 papers in total complete with answers). I was asked by a lot of the Sep 2013 intake for these and I don't mind emailing them to anyone if you are prepared to pm me your email address 8) I can only do this until end of Tuesday then I'm going to get real busy.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ah thanks Sonasona - I have all 32. I am impressed by people who are doing CEM and want all the GL ones too.

Wildwest - I would think that a lot of the GL VR is redundant for CEM practice, and maybe too the non-comprehension elements of the GL English papers as they focus on spelling and punctuation.

The maths and the NVR are probably useful practice though. We are doing a CGP CEM NVR book at the moment and it's the same beast dressed up slightly differently. Maths is maths unless you are talking about the properly challenging maths questions that some of the superselectives and independents provide. CEM doesn't seem to be of that nature from what I have gleaned on here.

So maybe you haven't got quite so many extra papers to work through as you thought!
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

sonasona wrote:a few years back a tutor had scans on their website which were available as free downloads. They happen to be the really old VR Packs (8 papers in total complete with answers). I was asked by a lot of the Sep 2013 intake for these and I don't mind emailing them to anyone if you are prepared to pm me your email address I can only do this until end of Tuesday then I'm going to get real busy.
Those of you receiving the file, you'll need to download WinRAR for free to extract :wink:
Shapla

Post by Shapla »

Doing CEM for the first time and have gone through CGP CEM bks in verbal, non verbal, maths 10-11. Also Fptp cloze, 3D bk, num reasoning too.

Is that enough? Do I need to do GL too, are they relevant. Can someone please advise in a concise way?

Thanks
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

GL/NFER/Letts VR not really relevant to CEM. Would not be a bad idea doing the English and NVR (not NVR coding questions though!) for practice if you can.

We've done them all because we already had the material including Nets, cubes and 3d rotation.

Looks like you've done quite well for a first timer! Good luck 8)
Shapla

Post by Shapla »

Thanks sonasona. For NVR, Is it only Fptp and cgp that have the nets and 3d or do other papers contain them? Sorry to sound thick but which other NVR should I cover as well?

I don't really feel I have covered a lot by just using these bks for the Cem but there is nothing else out there. Also am assuming that everyone doing 11+ does these bks too!!

Thanks
motion

Post by motion »

Shapla wrote:Thanks sonasona. For NVR, Is it only Fptp and cgp that have the nets and 3d or do other papers contain them?

Thanks
Bond NVR Papers have 3D nets type questions
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now