Expected Level for Kids writing 11plus in 1 year time.

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Kaybenson

Expected Level for Kids writing 11plus in 1 year time.

Post by Kaybenson »

Hello Folks,

I just discovered that No single students in my Kid's junior school are on level 4. I knew few Kids in that school that are Brilliant. I rang one of the Parents who told me, she asked the school at a time and they did said that in that particular school, they pegged the level to 3(i.e highest have to be 3).

What could cause a school to do this?

Now they are starting year 5, will such kids ever have a chance to pass 11plus?

Cheers
mystery

Re: Expected Level for Kids writing 11plus in 1 year time.

Post by mystery »

In Kent you don't have to write in the 11plus. What is your 11plus like? Which area / schools are you trying for?

What is your child's scores in maths and reading at the end of year 4?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Mystery, I think the OP means sitting the 11plus. "Writing" is how some people express it (or "appearing").
scary mum
Kaybenson

Post by Kaybenson »

Seating for the exam.

Her level is 3[ All their top 3 Kids are in level 3 ]

The region is Sutton. Thanks
mystery

Post by mystery »

Are you sure they are level 3? 3a, 3b, or 3c? In reading, maths and writing?

Which school are you going for? Have you looked up the test format n here and started some relevant work at home? Maybe you will find that school has underestimated your child's level and that she is above average.

3b is the national expectation at the end of year 4.

Does your school get any level 5s at the end of year 6?

Have any children from your school passed the particular test you are interested in in previous years?
Kaybenson

Post by Kaybenson »

mystery wrote:Are you sure they are level 3? 3a, 3b, or 3c? In reading, maths and writing?

Which school are you going for? Have you looked up the test format n here and started some relevant work at home? Maybe you will find that school has underestimated your child's level and that she is above average.

1) 3b is the national expectation at the end of year 4.

2) Does your school get any level 5s at the end of year 6?

3) Have any children from your school passed the particular test you are interested in in previous years?
My aim is to get her into any of the sutton schools

1) I know. According to the report, her grade is 3b in Maths, Reading comprehension and writing

~ In RE, the teacher says '' She's at a level above that expected for a Child of her age''
~ Same thing in Reading
~ Also in Science ''She's at a level above that expected for a Child of her age ''
In P.E, she represent the school in cross country

2) I will ring them to chek

3) I knew a particular parent whose Kids are in grammar school but it appears to be more of Parent's teaching.

Regards
mystery

Post by mystery »

I would look up your school results in the dfe performance tables. I think you are just going to have to get cracking on preparation and if she is 3b just put it behind you and accept you might have to do a bit more prep than a child who had higher levels. I don't know what the tests in Sutton are like I'm afraid.
Kaybenson

Post by Kaybenson »

mystery wrote:I would look up your school results in the dfe performance tables. I think you are just going to have to get cracking on preparation and if she is 3b just put it behind you and accept you might have to do a bit more prep than a child who had higher levels. I don't know what the tests in Sutton are like I'm afraid.

Their result is quite good on that table.

The headteacher told me that they expect their Pupils to be at minimum of level 4 in Year 6.

They dont worry of their levels NOW.
mystery

Post by mystery »

The government expects them to be at least level 4 at the end of year 6 - except levels are on their way out at the moment.

When you looked at that table, what proportion of children had level 5 or higher in maths, reading, writing, spag? How many children were n year 6?

What was the proportion of sen etc?

What makes you say the results looked good? If everyone is always level 3 or less at the end of year 4, and genuinely so, it makes it unlikely they have any level 5s without some phenomenal progress taking place in years 5 and 6.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now