Advice on how to decypher 11+ breakdown results please

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Karma67

Advice on how to decypher 11+ breakdown results please

Post by Karma67 »

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me on how to work out how my DD did on 11= sections, ie convert the VR, NR and numerical form the score to a percentage, if you know what I mean!
For example a score in Verbal of 71.25 would equate to __% out of 100%

Many thanks
Tinkers

Re: Advice on how to decypher 11+ breakdown results please

Post by Tinkers »

Short answer is you can't.

The score is based on how the DC does in comparison to the rest of them. If your DC scores 90% and the average is 50% then DC will have a very high score. However if DC scores 90% but the average score is 95% then DC will score low.
Karma67

Post by Karma67 »

Thanks for your quick reply!

Well that's frustrating! lol Are there any published scores of the national average for comparison?

Seems all a bit 'cloak and dagger' style!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Schools use different tests and standardise based on those who take the test so there's no national average as such.

In berkshire, we have the two Reading schools and the four Slough schools. These all use the same test, but the Reading schools use a different standardisation to the Slough schools so those who ask for their scores to be shared. The same raw score gives tow very different scores for the Reading schools and the Slough schools.

Some schools will tell you the raw score if asked at the correct time, some (but not those using CEM) may even let you see the paper.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

We did change our scores so they all had the same weighting. That way we could easily see which areas were stronger which weaker. For example the V.R was 50% so we doubled it and then compared the score to the overall pass mark of 121,the NVR we multiplied it by 5 as it was worth 20% etc. Not sure exactly what the average was but would guess around the 85 to 105 mark is where the biggest percentage of scores would be. Sally Anne might know.
Karma67

Post by Karma67 »

Thanks once again for replies
Tolstoy wrote:We did change our scores so they all had the same weighting.
I was under that impression aswell Tolstoy
Tolstoy wrote:For example the V.R was 50% so we doubled it and then compared the score to the overall pass mark of 121,the NVR we multiplied it by 5 as it was worth 20% etc.
Can you remember what Numeracy was...I have a vague recollection of 30%, but not too sure!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Yes it was 30. Personally I think all three should be equally weighted, certainly NR and VR should. Bucks Grammars can't be helping much with the current shortage of Maths teachers :lol:
Karma67

Post by Karma67 »

Tolstoy wrote: Bucks Grammars can't be helping much with the current shortage of Maths teachers :lol:
Too true lol :wink:

Oh well, I suppose it will remain a mystery for me!
Thanks for the help x