Holiday abroad before 11+ exams

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tinkers

Re: Holiday abroad before 11+ exams

Post by Tinkers »

DD had a week away with grandparents (so did nothing then) then later had almost a week away with us. No point taking work as it was a packed out time. Couldn't change the date as it was a family reunion that happens every four years.

What we did have in that time was plenty of time to talk, chat, discuss, read etc. That's not wasted time imo.

Certainly didn't do any harm at all.

One girl at her school spent the whole summer having to do a paper every day (and complained about it when she got back to school), I think even when DD was at home we managed one or two a week.

If they have been working for several months already, then the major work has been done. Missing a couple of weeks isn't that much in the overall scheme of things. However if you have left it until the last minute, then it would be different.
enema

Post by enema »

Thanks everyone. The exams are competitive and child is keen to pass so want to support this as much as possible. I would also like her to completely have a break so no work on holiday, hence the dilemma. As far as I can foresee these will be the only exams that would ever impact on a summer holiday as all others - GCSEs etc - are pre summer holidays.
Amber

Post by Amber »

enema wrote: As far as I can foresee these will be the only exams that would ever impact on a summer holiday as all others - GCSEs etc - are pre summer holidays.
Yes - then you have to time your holidays around the results days!
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

Just let her holiday, by that stage in the game she's not really going to learn much more anyway. She will come back refreshed and much more able to consolidate her learning ready for the exam....I've heard horror stories of kids being made to do 6 hours a day of work during the holidays and one would really have to question then whether this is the right path for a child who needs that amount of input.
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

I'm not sure we did the right thing. We went away for two weeks when school broke for summer. We had a lovely holiday . We had mixed feelings, we felt she needed a break , however thought maybe we should have done a little revision. Our daughter didn't want to. When we got back she was in such a relaxed frame of mind, it was hard for her and us to re focus (even though it was her dream of going to a GS). We did work hard for the remainder of the holiday, she didn't pass unfortunately and she was devastated. On reflection she did say she wished she had worked whilst away. (We did get the through on review , we feel very lucky) . Next time I will either only go away for a week and have complete rest, or have 2 or 3 weekends away at summer and possibly have another break earlier in the year. Just my opinion and obviously depends on the child. Dolly ****
Hyacinth

Post by Hyacinth »

Dollydripmat wrote:I'm not sure we did the right thing. We went away for two weeks when school broke for summer. We had a lovely holiday . We had mixed feelings, we felt she needed a break , however thought maybe we should have done a little revision. Our daughter didn't want to. When we got back she was in such a relaxed frame of mind, it was hard for her and us to re focus (even though it was her dream of going to a GS). We did work hard for the remainder of the holiday, she didn't pass unfortunately and she was devastated. On reflection she did say she wished she had worked whilst away. (We did get the through on review , we feel very lucky) . Next time I will either only go away for a week and have complete rest, or have 2 or 3 weekends away at summer and possibly have another break earlier in the year. Just my opinion and obviously depends on the child. Dolly ****
It is such a hard call. We only did prep during our late August holiday because we hadn't really done much up to that point as I was working. At least on holiday we could do a bit, then go and have a fun day rather than trying to squeeze the work in when neither of us were in the right frame of mind. Many of you may think it very odd but, in fact, it was a really enjoyable time and, I feel, what got us anywhere near a pass mark. But, it's a very individual decision, dependant on personal circumstances.
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

Dollydripmat wrote:I'm not sure we did the right thing. We went away for two weeks when school broke for summer. We had a lovely holiday . We had mixed feelings, we felt she needed a break , however thought maybe we should have done a little revision. Our daughter didn't want to. When we got back she was in such a relaxed frame of mind, it was hard for her and us to re focus (even though it was her dream of going to a GS). We did work hard for the remainder of the holiday, she didn't pass unfortunately and she was devastated. On reflection she did say she wished she had worked whilst away. (We did get the through on review , we feel very lucky) . Next time I will either only go away for a week and have complete rest, or have 2 or 3 weekends away at summer and possibly have another break earlier in the year. Just my opinion and obviously depends on the child. Dolly ****
I really feel for you and your DD. I know it's can be so depressing for the child. You are right, it very much depends on the child. But I don't think just 10-20 mins paper everyday either in the morning or in the evening sometime during the holiday is going to hamper the whole break that the child is enjoying. The whole family is chilling and so is the child in question but just 10-20 mins in 24 hrs will not hamper that chilling IMHO.

I know my kids, if I give complete break they will find it very difficult to get back in swing and get the rhythm back. The competition these days in immense and if a child really wants to go to GS and is not super brilliant then he/she needs to put some extra effort. I also know of another kid (few years back) who was very top of the pile till summer holidays but went on 3 wks holidays and when he came back struggled to get back on track and eventually though cleared the GS exams but just so didn't get his first choice which left the family very sad and disappointed. But then it was too late to rectify anything. :(
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Every October I get a flood of private messages from confused, upset and angry parents who do not understand why their superbright dc (who had sailed though primary unchallenged) has failed to secure a place at their chosen state selective.

There are not enough places for all those students who have spent seven years on top table at primary school at the state selectives so it becomes a simple first past the post issue and every mark lost takes you down the list (in our area it is 12 ranks for each mark)

Nobody, not even the schools who set the exams every year, knows what the mark to get a place will be this year.

So in order to maximise your chances of success you prepare. This is clearly understood in Sport and Music and Drama, but less so in academic exams. Every day one group prepares and one group does not the chances of the first group picking up extra marks increase.

My dd is about to take her GCSE's in May. On results day some parents will "marvel" at the surprise success of some "average" students and unexpected disappointments of some of the "superbright" Mostly the results will mirror the preparation that has taken place.

OP, if your dd is keen to pass she needs to obtain higher marks than many of the other applicants. No need for a tutor, there are plenty of free papers available that you can print out and take with you. Ten minutes a day will keep her on track and not cut into your holiday. If she refuses to do this then she can't really be that keen to secure a place at the school. I know of many students who did not take a holiday this summer but travelled at half term instead. Give her every chance possible and hopefully she will thank you for it in six months time. DG
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Not read all the replies but we went away for the first 3 weeks of the summer holidays. Dd did no work whilst we were there. She did very well in her exams. I guess it depends how well your child is prepared by then and how ready. Dd did more work when she came back (2 hours a week of tutoring plus a couple more hours a week of time at home).
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

DG but you are a tutor! Of course it is is your interest to 'ramp up' the tutoring that goes on and this contributes to the hysteria you see on some threads.

Go on holiday OP and forget 11+ for two weeks. Play word games - scrabble, boggle etc and the odd sudoku if you must but let her have a rest and refresh her brain. In my experience, those that achieve well are rested with fresh minds able to apply what they know - not anxious and over-tired.

There are some excellent schools who don't appear in league tables because they have a wider mix of children in them - I taught in one of these for a number of years. We had students off to Oxbridge every year and, at the other end, students who did well to get a few GCSE grade Fs and Gs.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now