Grammar schools without catchment criteria

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tiffinboys

Re: Grammar schools without catchment criteria

Post by tiffinboys »

Yes, and they don't need to relocate before child finishes primary school.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Sorry, I'm a bit confused now. I was under the impression that OP was looking at schools for 2017 entry and therefore had plenty of time to relocate.

Whilst I assumed curiousappa was looking for entry in 2016 (hence concern over the clash in exam dates) and that is why I was surprised that she would be considering an exam for a school so far away as surely the window for relocation has gone.

Perhaps I'm confused, apologies if I am.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

doodles wrote:Sorry, I'm a bit confused now. I was under the impression that OP was looking at schools for 2017 entry and therefore had plenty of time to relocate.

Whilst I assumed curiousappa was looking for entry in 2016 (hence concern over the clash in exam dates) and that is why I was surprised that she would be considering an exam for a school so far away as surely the window for relocation has gone.

Perhaps I'm confused, apologies if I am.
The OP, Sandra, asked a perfectly legitimate question as she is looking for 2017 entry and has time to sort out moving; curiousappa is looking for 2016 entry and therefore does not. You are right.
Justinterested

Post by Justinterested »

I think i understand curiouspapas situation. He is a Dad. His wife is training to be a Doctor and is currently training in Cambridge area .She will finish training and be free to relocate anywhere with good chance of employment at the same time as DD finishes Year 6 in 2016. They would like her to attend an academic Grammar School. They are not in catchment for any so want her to sit tests for schools that offer to anyone. If they are offerred a place they would then move to near that school. Not so extreme really but I think poor English ? ESL and a sudden rush of posts on different threads made it look a lot more extreme than it may actually be .
doodles

Post by doodles »

Thank you Justinterested, that makes a whole lot of sense to me, not a good position to be in.
curiousappa

Post by curiousappa »

Thanks justinterested for your understanding.
you are right.
My wife is a Doctor training to become GP in cambridge area.
she will be finishing her training exactly when my daughter finishes her year 6.
Any way she has to find a Job.It could be miles away from south Cambridgeshire.
I know lot of Doctors moved out after their training even upto Devonshire.
So We are planning to move to the area wherever our daughter gets through in 11+
We are not planning to make her travel 50 to 80 miles a day as I know girls travel from Kent to HBS.
she will be attending only three exams
Today I spoke with Chelmsford AA, they said if you register for all the CCHS,PGS and SCGS you don't have to sit all of them and we can share the results with other schools.
I am not sure how many of the people here knows that pupil even come from abroad to sit HBS test.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

doodles wrote:Thank you Justinterested, that makes a whole lot of sense to me, not a good position to be in.
Not enviable but could be worse. At least there is the guarantee of a job pretty much anywhere in the country with the exodus of GPs currently and many who are coming to the end of training will be re-locating for all sorts of reasons...

Curiousappa, good luck to your dd and I hope she gets into a school you are all happy with. Will you get a chance to go and visit them before you have to put your applications in? If she gets into more than one then do be aware that many of these schools look quite similar on paper but have very different atmospheres to each other - she may much prefer one school to another if she gets the choice so it is worth a visit if you can manage it...
Justinterested

Post by Justinterested »

Curiousappa which 3 exams will she be sitting ?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Students come from all over to sit HBS and QE. I know of students from Hong Kong,USA India and Singapore who have sat QE and we had a forum member from Newcastle a couple of years ago. DG