Sustaining excellence - grammar schools

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
LostInTheShuffle

Sustaining excellence - grammar schools

Post by LostInTheShuffle »

How do the best grammar schools (QE Boys, Henrietta Barnett, Tiffin, etc) sustain their academic excellence year after year?

Is it self-perpetuating because they are seen as highly desirable and consistently attract the best pupils? Is it because they have developed a distinctive educational philosophy/approach and culture? Is it due to the teaching faculty/head teacher, governors, involved parental community, etc? Is it the result of having access to extra financial resources (outside of government funding)?
scary mum

Re: Sustaining excellence - grammar schools

Post by scary mum »

They can be extremely selective so only take the brightest children. I wonder what their value added scores are? This thread could go horribly wrong :)
scary mum
LostInTheShuffle

Post by LostInTheShuffle »

scary mum wrote:...This thread could go horribly wrong :)
I am not seeking to be provocative. Simply curious about the factors that contribute to these schools' sustained academic excellence (it's rather impressive).
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The preparation that goes into getting a place at one of these schools is very impressive!

So Year Seven can probably hit the ground running after all that work. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Actually I think the resuts of some of Bucks Upper Schools (Secondary Modern) are far more impressive given their intake.
Many get results far above national averages from students who do not qualify for Bucks GS (taking top 30%).
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Hence my question about value added. If I wasn't so lazy I would look it up!
scary mum
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Guest55 wrote:Actually I think the resuts of some of Bucks Upper Schools (Secondary Modern) are far more impressive given their intake.
Many get results far above national averages from students who do not qualify for Bucks GS (taking top 30%).
Unfortunately, this is not true of Comprehensive schools in our area. Tiffin takes only about 30 boys from the borough and 10-15 goes to other grammars in Sutton. The rest, including most of the bright boys, are placed in comprehensives. Much to be done there.
cleo

Post by cleo »

Guest55 wrote:Actually I think the resuts of some of Bucks Upper Schools (Secondary Modern) are far more impressive given their intake.
Do you think that is because it is a 11 plus area. Thus some of the children if not most might have had some form of tutoring to sit the entrance exam for the grammar schools.

Trafford Comprehension schools are better; compared to some in Manchester and I think one of the reasons could be because it is an 11 plus area. Although many children do not pass the exams whatever school they attend will benefit from the extra support that has been given over the summer holidays.

All it could be down to social -economic backgrounds of the families who move into Trafford specifically for the school help the Trafford schools attainment. This could be the same for Bucks although not familiar with the area myself.
cleo

Post by cleo »

tiffinboys wrote:All it could be down to social -economic backgrounds of the families who move into Trafford specifically for the school help the Trafford schools attainment. This could be the same for Bucks although not familiar with the area myself.
Must proof read before posting!!

Meant 'or'.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Cleo, when did I write the quote being attributed to me? :wink: