Prep for 11 plus at beginning of year 5

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Petitpois

Re: Prep for 11 plus at beginning of year 5

Post by Petitpois »

mystery wrote:To get 100 correct in 100 seconds means quick writing.
I think your missing the thrust of what I am saying

1) At the beginning of year 5, you need to start to ease DC into the concept of time pressure and begin to ramp up speed (if they have not already been exposed to that).
2) Its important for parents to show leadership and empathy to their child by doing the test with them / against them. My DD loved beating me every time and I got an important reality check on the pressure she was being asked to work under. Don't under estimate this walk the walk point I am making.
3) Many many kids will not have the mental maths speed. It is likely that if they cannot do timetables, they are possibility behind on other core skill areas. if this test exposes any concerns on that I would have an urgent chat with the child's teachers on the core basic maths skills and their current levels.
4) There is no point immediately rushing ahead with more demanding stuff if the basics need working on. Why do 2x-20=-3 what is X (atypical level 4 bond problem), if they are not able to to 30-100 or don't know BODMAS for example.
5) Regardless of the programme and tutoring we followed we continued to do speed maths throughout all of year 5. Yes you have to be able to write quickly, but it also builds immediate decision making confidence.

Eventually the constraint becomes how fast you can write, but who cares how fast you can, it was not our objective in doing this.

Just finally there are two parts to how our brains work out problems. Lets call it the fast brain and the slow brain.

If I say to you 3*2 you know within milliseconds that the answer is 6. Why do you know so quickly because your fast brain gave it to you.

If I say 49*49 most people will reach for a calculator or piece of paper if the calculator can't be used, because the slower methodical brain kicks in. They will go through the standard multiplying process and usually get a right answer. But it could take 25 seconds

If I tell you a simple rule which is that for any square if you know the value of its neighbour e.g. 50 squared = 2500, you can get the correct answer for its neighbour, by adding or taking away the sum of the higher plus lower number. So 49 squared is 50 squared take away 50+49 - so that equals 2500 - 99 = 2401.

Everyone else has to use their slow brain to work it out or a time consuming calculator. My DD simply has to takeaway 2500-99, which suddenly the fast brain can handle, rather then slow brain. Easy peasy 2401 and done quicker than most people could probably type into a calculator.

Now think about how this improves a child's ability to quickly estimate. THIS IS NOT something that you need for the 11+, its just something we did for a bit of fun stretch and challenge as part of key stage 2, but I hope it illustrates what I am getting at.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Great tips, Petitpois, thank you.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

I worked out how to use those sorts of mental maths methods doing bar work at university on a manual till, having to think on my feet with crowds of people clamouring to be served. Never thought of calling it fast brain and slow brain. Great stuff petitpois.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Peridot wrote:I worked out how to use those sorts of mental maths methods doing bar work at university on a manual till, having to think on my feet with crowds of people clamouring to be served. Never thought of calling it fast brain and slow brain. Great stuff petitpois.
Right! Off to get him a job at a bar! :D
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Peridot wrote:I worked out how to use those sorts of mental maths methods doing bar work at university on a manual till, having to think on my feet with crowds of people clamouring to be served. Never thought of calling it fast brain and slow brain. Great stuff petitpois.

ditto Peridot, but for me it was summers spent working at a holiday camp bar to keep student debt at bay. Also remembering peoples rounds meant megga tips :)
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

The trouble is these days tills are all automated. No mental maths required. Probably far fewer mistakes mind you but no brain stretching. I loved the challenge!
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

yoyo123 wrote: ETA: Spaghetti books?! I typed SPAG books, flaming auto correct!
I did wonder about that... :lol:
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Petitpois wrote:If I tell you a simple rule which is that for any square if you know the value of its neighbour e.g. 50 squared = 2500, you can get the correct answer for its neighbour, by adding or taking away the sum of the higher plus lower number. So 49 squared is 50 squared take away 50+49 - so that equals 2500 - 99 = 2401.

Everyone else has to use their slow brain to work it out or a time consuming calculator. My DD simply has to takeaway 2500-99, which suddenly the fast brain can handle, rather then slow brain. Easy peasy 2401 and done quicker than most people could probably type into a calculator.
That's a great tip, Petitpois. My slow brain would go 49*100/2 - 49... somewhat convoluted, I have to admit! :D
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Sonia nn

Post by Sonia nn »

Hey Faith4 what are vocab words? Is it a work book? In your experience what is the best work book for vocabulary?
SlighlyStressedMum

Post by SlighlyStressedMum »

That sounds like a shed load of prep to me.
My son joined Explore Learning's 11+ course which was an hour a week grp tuition with minimal homework from the start of yr 5. They gave us a reading list and we read several of those books together to help expand his vocab and his comprehension. In the last few wks before the exam we did some past papers, a couple we worked through together and then a few in exam conditions. That was it. He just got a result of 360.71 which is more.than.enough for him to gain a place here.