Should I send DS to school the day before the test?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Peridot

Re: Should I send DS to school the day before the test?

Post by Peridot »

Another vote here for keeping it as normal as possible and sending them into school the day before. My daughter sat exams for two selective schools, both of which involved relatively early morning starts. We just made sure she went to bed in plenty of time with a favourite book. On the test days themselves we didn't send her back into school for the afternoon but went out for a celebratory lunch instead.
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

Did the school not insist that the child should be back for rest of the day?
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

Really???

There is no good reason for keeping a child off school the day before the 11+!! It's not like any revision you do that day would be worth it and sitting around watching tv all day is pointless too.

Keep things normal
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

pinkrabbit38 wrote:Really???

There is no good reason for keeping a child off school the day before the 11+!! It's not like any revision you do that day would be worth it and sitting around watching tv all day is pointless too.

Keep things normal
Haha! You obviously haven't seen the equivalent thread from one previous 11+ exam period. Sending your child into school for the week of the test, let alone on the day immediately before was tantamount to child cruelty combined with a rank admission that your offspring was probably an insensitive no-hoper anyway, is the general impression that springs to mind. I'm sure someone posted that they were not letting their DC go back to school at all after the summer holidays until their last exam was over.

Oddly, at least one person was basing their decision on the advice of their tutor, which was complete rest for the child, interrupted only by a daily session with... (yes, you've guessed it :shock: ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hornetgirl

Post by hornetgirl »

Definitely school as normal the day before and back in after the test is finished.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

mumsdarling2 wrote:Did the school not insist that the child should be back for rest of the day?
No we just requested the whole day off and it was fine.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Both of mine went in the day before. Worked for us. The prospect of a day brushing up on things wouldn't have worked in our house.
I stopped everything completely from 10 days or so before and did my best not to talk about it either.
We also did nothing between SET and next stage.
We did however work moderately hard over the summer.
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

We have finally decided to send DS to school. It will be good for him to have a normal busy day as opposed to sitting at home and fretting over the impending exam.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now