The rumour mill

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

marigold

Re: The rumour mill

Post by marigold »

Tall stories continue well beyond the 11plus.

A friend's daughter got much better than expected A levels a couple of years ago. Her father felt she should be going to a more prestigious university than the one she had chosen. He told us that he had phoned the admissions tutor of his old Oxford college, explained that his daughter was in fact a genius and they had said that even though she had not applied via UCAS she was of course extremely welcome to join the college that autumn as they could not miss out on such a star. Sadly for my friend his daughter then put her foot down and insisted on going to her original choice as she didnt really fancy Oxford...
tense

Post by tense »

That's funny Marigold :D

Can I remind posters that thisandthat3 started this as a 'light hearted thread' called 'the rumour mill' - I certainly didn't intend any slight on whether one type of school is better than another.

Obviously people choose schools for different reasons. I guess I was thinking more about the parent who accosts your DC on results day to basically put down the school they will attend by saying that their own DC had got in, but rejected the place immediately because 'they didn't like the uniform' or some such reason (yes,an adult said that to my then 11 year old).
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

One of DS2's friends at primary got a pass score in the 11+. Then she hadn't, she was one point under. 'But Mum says I can still go to (local girls' grammar) because we live so close to it'. Then she had 'chosen' to go to the (more awful of the two nearest and not her catchment) comprehensive school so that she could stay with her best friend.

I really don't understand why parents can't just be honest with their offspring, let alone with the rest of the world :roll: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mystery

Post by mystery »

This could be the child's own lies though - hard to know. There's a child we know that lies - mostly to big themselves up in this kind of way but sometimes at the expense of others to avoid a telling off at times either at school or at home.

It has been promoted by a school who thought this was a "golden child" and parents who thought their child was 100 percent truthful but also were perhaps too strict in some ways so lying was very tempting perhaps. It is complex and annoying as this child is a friend of my child - it can lead to some tricky situations particularly now secondary school has started and they are further from home with more independence.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Tense my last paragraph about the your comment re independent v state was mean't to be light hearted I just forgot to put the emoticon in. :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now