Tutors

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tom's mum

Post by Tom's mum »

Tracy, it would be a good idea to find out exactly what your daughter's school consider to be 'below average' about her ability. Obviously they will have taught hundreds of children and will have good reason for saying this - perhaps she has a special need which has not been identified?
paperwork

Post by paperwork »

I believe that all children can only reach their full potential in the right environment. If they are bullied in school, they might perform badly, and still demonstrate excellent results at home. Sometimes they have other worries about school, and might not share them with parents. Try to raise this topic sensitively with your daughter, and find out if there is anything disturbing her at school. It might be somebody or something.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Thanks for all the replies. I am having my daughter privately assessed this weekend. And as for the 'wolf in sheep's clothing' that would be a very accurate description of my daughter too. Will keep you posted. Thanks x
Grumpy Old...

Post by Grumpy Old... »

KM wrote:I agree with you that you could probably do most of what a tutor does at home yourself but I don't think my daughter would have been as willing to sit down and work with me as she has with her tutor. Going to her tutor once a week and then completing her homework during the rest of the week has given a discipline to the whole process which I think would have been missing if I had tried to do it myself with her. However, each child is different and your child may not need this structure to her learning like my daughter has!
Agree. My son is really enjoying his tutor sessions but - other than regular homework set by school, which he does quite happily - will not sit and do 'extra' work with me.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I'm a qualified primary teacher and have infinite patience when explaining a process to pupils. I enjoy the challenge of getting a child with SEn to finally understand a principle...

Get me anywhere near my own children though and I am completely different!

No patience at all..on either side

:oops:
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Quick update.

The asessment last weekend showed that my daughter is, for her age, average in some areas and above average is others. The problem is her complete lack of confidence at school. Just as I thought.

I have enrolled her with a tutor on a 4:1 basis to boost her confidence in English and Maths.

When I picked my daughter up from her first session she came out beaming; I haven't seen her that interested in work for a long time. She has gladly done the homework her tutor has set and says it is more interesting than what she gets at school.

She has also asked me if she can go to this centre all the time instead of school!!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Tracy wrote: When I picked my daughter up from her first session she came out beaming; I haven't seen her that interested in work for a long time. She has gladly done the homework her tutor has set and says it is more interesting than what she gets at school.

She has also asked me if she can go to this centre all the time instead of school!!
All of which shows that, when given attention and praise by the teacher, your daughter will thrive.

I'm afraid it was ever thus!

Sally-Anne
Grumpy etc...

Post by Grumpy etc... »

KM wrote:I agree with you that you could probably do most of what a tutor does at home yourself but I don't think my daughter would have been as willing to sit down and work with me as she has with her tutor. Going to her tutor once a week and then completing her homework during the rest of the week has given a discipline to the whole process which I think would have been missing if I had tried to do it myself with her. However, each child is different and your child may not need this structure to her learning like my daughter has!
Nail on head! My very bright son works hard at school-set homework etc but plays me up. Lousy parenting maybe but I get someone else to help...
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear T

I have moved your offer of help to here...

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=4793

Thankyou for your offer to help the parents of Redbridge via the forum...

patricia
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

My sincere apologies to T - as you will see, your post is now correctly placed in Essex, rather than in Surrey. Entirely my fault, not Patricia's. :oops:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=4793

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now