Exam Envy

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Post by Guest »

I am truly happy for those of you whose children have passed. It has been a stressful time for us all and I do not begrudge you a thing. I know how sensitive I felt the need to be around other parents when my older children passed their entry exams. Sadly my youngest has not. The secondary school she has been allocated is very decent and things could have been so much worse.
My husband told me today in the play ground, when approached by a successful 'commiserating' parent how he congratulated them whole heartedly and said how deserved their child was. That we did not make the grade but were content with our lot. That we were on the waiting list and would have to think seriously if anything turned up there, but were settled with our allocation. "yes well lots of kids are on the waiting list" he was told.
It is about our children. Lets not be un-generous to those who are celebrating. Of course we would like the day in their shoes, but please.. it is hard enough. Lets not score points against each other. Shocked, sad, resigned, hopeful, optimistic. Congratulations to your beloved children, grammar or otherwise. A whole life ahead.
Thea

Post by Thea »

Guest - gosh I am impressed with your DH and his dignified and genreous reponse. I appracjhed the playground with trepidatio today - my Dc are not affected this year (next!) but I know many people who are, and there were a lot of unhappy-looking parents. Presumably he happy ones slunk in and out discreetly.. There is only one grammar within commuting distance from us, and it is 10 times over-subscribed, so the odd are ridiculous - especially since those that take the exam are already all high-achievers. The only alternaticves are (for girls) an massively overscubscribed comp, or two sink miced comps. So in a cohort of 56 (two classes) all but a handful take independent exams, and parents increase their motgages and struggle to pay...
Best Regards,
Thea

Post by Guest »

well, you cannot support the set up when you suceed only to denounce it when you fail. It is rotten to be on this side of the fence, but I bought into it and you take your chances. I did not complain when my other kids passed - I cannot complain that this time it is not us in the lead. Of course I am bitterly disappointed. There is no pleasure in seeing your child hurt and embarassed, for that is what she is, although she has no need to be. I am so proud of her and she is so clever. Bright children too get overlooked by this system and always have. I wish now as I always did that all schools offered the education and discipline that we all here are seeking for our children, for all children. But we deal the cards we have. My request is, in the natural exuberance one feels when the outcome is joyous, please tread kindly on the rest of us because we are feeling battered.