Birmingham University School - The Non Grammar Grammar?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

toogeeky

Birmingham University School - The Non Grammar Grammar?

Post by toogeeky »

With the Birmingham results in some parents may now be faced with a difficult decision. Send their child to a lower caliber Birmingham Grammar school or risk sending them to the newly opened Birmingham University School.

Having looked at all of the grammar schools as well as having been to the BUS open evenings I must say that the new school is very, very, impressive and the team behind it, the teaching staff, the ethos and the facilities available all point to this being a very good educational establishment but obviously without any track record.

Gut feeling says that this could potentially give the Birmingham Grammars a run for their money and without the stress and pressure of the 11+.

One to watch I think :D
hermanmunster

Re: Birmingham University School - The Non Grammar Grammar?

Post by hermanmunster »

I suspect that the main problem is being sure of getting a place, the school was quite oversubscribed -

figures for last year:
Of six choices for secondary school places, we featured on over 1,150 applications
On over 370 applications, we were nominated as the first choice of secondary school
We took successful applicants from over 60 primary school
The furthest distance from each node for September 2015 entry was:
University of Birmingham School Main Entrance: 1429 metres
Jewellery Quarter Station Main Entrance: 1639 metres
Small Heath Station Main Entrance: 1240 metres
Hall Green Station Main Entrance: 954 metres
Tonythetiger

Post by Tonythetiger »

I've heard rumours they are having some issues with behaviour. Only to be expected I guess without the influence of all the older year groups to aid with some of the more social aspects of learning. If there are issues, I'm sure they'll settle down. Definitely one to watch.
toogeeky

Post by toogeeky »

There will obviously be teething problems as they are starting from scratch and need to establish systems and protocol but I think that the lack of older year groups will be a plus as the current year 7's will get 100% input from the teachers.

Don't know whether I would have had the courage to send my year 7 there this year but everything points to it being an outstanding school in one or two years time.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now