Can I change my CAF preference?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
htm

Can I change my CAF preference?

Post by htm »

On 31st October, I completed and submitted the CAF online listing 6 schools in preference order. Between the 1st & 2nd choice, we (I, spouse and dc) were truly torn and had a hard time deciding which one to rank at the top. FYI, my dc would automatically get into both grammar schools 1 & 2, given the score and rank at 11+ tests. So the school we put at the top of the order is what my dc should get (all schools ranked from 2 to 6 are just fillers).

Having submitted the preference order, I am not finished agonising between 1 & 2. I am coming round to the idea that we should probably have ranked 1 & 2 other way round. It is not just a case of post-decision dissonance, but in the cold light probably 2 is a better choice. School 1, albeit marginally better, is further away, while school 2 is lot closer (40 mins saving each day). In the heat of the moment, we probably went with school 1, when we should have gone with school 2.

FYI, my LEA is Redbridge, Essex/Greater London, where I filled up the CAF. I am posting this thread in general section to garner as many tips/advice as possible (the region thread for Redbridge is not very active).

1. What can I do to reverse my preference order? For reasons, I could cite changed circumstances or late realisation that commute to school 1 (which is OOC) is further than what we thought or the school buses have been withdrawn from the route from my place to school 1.

2. Is there a precedence to such changes being allowed in CAF? Has any of you gone through this experience?

3. Do I have to wait till the 1st March offer day to lodge an appeal? Is this case (at all) suitable for appeal?

4. Or should I act right away and write to LEA asking for changing the preference order? As per Redbridge Admissions policy, "the application data is exchanged between boroughs before 11th Dec 2015 and any application after this date will be considered late." If I make the changes now, will my application be considered late (which may even deprive me from school 2)?

5. In reality, I could just request to withdraw school 1 from the list (which will automatically promote the 2nd school to the top position). Administratively, I guess this would be easier request than asking 1 & 2 to be swapped.

I guess the answers to all these lie with the Redbridge Admissions office. But before I contact them, I want get a guidance on how to approach this.

Thanks
ToadMum

Re: Can I change my CAF preference?

Post by ToadMum »

Hi,
Your last paragraph sums it up, of course - someone in Admissions at Redbridge will have the definitive answer for you

If you are sure that School 1 (CCHS?) is no longer something you want for your DD, then the easiest thing would be to just ask to delete it from your list, which, as you say, will immediately promote School 2 to first preference, without any worry about making your application 'late'.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mad?

Post by mad? »

I think before you do anything you nee dot be really sure that you are making the right decision this time. Presumably you have been repeatedly told about the importance of travel time so what is it that has suddenly changed? If you are certain, then ring admissions and ask, FWIW I'm with you on the journey, sounds like a no brainer to me.
mad?
htm

Post by htm »

Or is it possible to reject the allocated school (school 1) after the offer (before the 15th March deadline)? Will that automatically get me school 2, without having to go to appeal? Or will I just be put on school 2 waitlist?

I doubt very much if this is at all possible to do so under Equal Preference System; but just in case it is, then that might be another option in hand to exercise.
better to be moderate, than be moderated
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

htm wrote:Or is it possible to reject the allocated school (school 1) after the offer (before the 15th March deadline)? Will that automatically get me school 2, without having to go to appeal? Or will I just be put on school 2 waitlist?

I doubt very much if this is at all possible to do so under Equal Preference System; but just in case it is, then that might be another option in hand to exercise.

NO!!! If you are given a higher preference school, you are not then put on any waiting lists for schools that are a lower preference. If you make any changes to the CAF (swapping schools) you will be classed as a late applicant so will only get an offer after National Offers Day, if there are spaces. I would ring your LEA obviously to confirm all this but suspect the only recourse would be to drop school 1 altogether (assuming your LEA doesn't count this as a change and class you as late.) Otherwise I think you have to wait till offer day and ask to be put on the waiting list for school 2(where assumedly you would be near the top) - possibly having to reject school 1 and possibly putting yourself in a situation where you might end up with no school.

The only people who can answer this categorically are the LEA and I would advise you try and have an email conversation with them so you have a record...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now