The Education Bill

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

forumadmin
Site Admin

The Education Bill

Post by forumadmin »

We have had two phone calls asking us to about the ramifications of the new Education Bill (no this is not the private school fees :wink: )with regard to selection by ability entrance exams.

Parents of future 11plus parents should take a close look at the new education bill being pushed through Parliament by Mssrs. Blair & Kelly. For insomniacs the full 239 pages can be seen on http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 006134.pdf however for those that simply want the answer to whether or not the grammar schools regime will survive the answer lies in Section III Page 36 Paragraph 2 & 3,

“36 General restriction on selection by ability
(1) No admission arrangements for a community, foundation or voluntary school may make provision for selection by ability unless—
(a) they make provision for one of the permitted forms of such selection mentioned in section 99(2) of SSFA 1998, or
(b) the school is a grammar school.
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1) a school’s admission arrangements make provision for selection by ability if they make provision for all or any of the pupils who are to be admitted to the school in any relevant age group to be so admitted by reference to ability.
(3) In this section—
“ability” means either general ability or ability in any particular subject or
subjects;
“admission arrangements” has the meaning given by section 88(2) of
SSFA 1998;
“grammar school” has the meaning given by section 104(7) of SSFA 1998;
“relevant age group” has the meaning given by section 142(1) of SSFA
1998.”

This implies that existing grammar schools may continue selection by ability for the foreseeable future. Our thanks go to Stephen McConkey, of Learning Together publications, for doing the research this morning.

Forum Admin

Post by Guest »

All I can say is thank goodness my son got into a grammar school. I am so sick and tired of hearing about education from this labour government. They keep messing around with things for party political reasons, when their own children are attending independents. I feel sorry that people are at the mercy of the politicians when it comes to education. What have they done to improve schools? Some schools have "improved" so much recently that it just isn't possible. Have the children had brain transplants? Or are the schools fiddling the league tables? Hmm, I wonder ...
Confused Dad

Post by Confused Dad »

Hmm, my vote will go to the one who supports grammar school!
This is the best for the UK.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now