Santa and secondary

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Natalie74

Santa and secondary

Post by Natalie74 »

Will try to word this carefully incase younger eyes are reading.

Just wondered how many 11 year olds still have the magic of Christmas? If so, are any parents planning to approach the subject with their children before christmas 2014 when they'll be in secondary / grammar school?
kenyancowgirl

Re: Santa and secondary

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Both mine knew before leaving primary - I think they both discovered around Christmas of Y4 (it was always expected ds1 would as his asd made him uncomfortable that everyone was happy with a stranger breaking into their house and so he questioned it early on.) He played the game for his younger brother but ds2 is a sharp cookie about things so he worked it out early - including the Easter bunny and the tooth fairy - although he still expects the goodies!! He is in a Y6 class where most of the children profess to still believe. Most of the parents I know intend to break the news to their dc before they go to secondary as they do not want them to get teased when they are there.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

My DS is in Y7 and DD is in Y5, both have argued with us that it us but they have also insisted that they have a present from Father Christmas because he is real. Eldest even asked to sleep downstairs so he could see him deliver the presents and youngest said he had to come as who would eat the mince pies and drink the beer!

I am pretty sure they have decided to play us along in the hope of extra presents :mrgreen:
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Having just received his new school iPad, ds1 in year 8 has just added norad Santa tracker. They work it out for themselves, in their own time, but carry on enjoying the fun of pretending to...don't we all?
Immortal Dreams

Post by Immortal Dreams »

My mum told me in reception and I then promptly proceeded to disillusion my entire class. There must have been some very annoyed parents that year! Everyone in my year knows now, and I think they all did when entering year 7.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

We had 'the discussion' with both dcs in year 7, so they wouldn't get embarrassed. Both boys, I think weren't 100% sure, but sort of knew Fc wasn't real.
Natalie74

Post by Natalie74 »

My lad is 11 and totally believes. Think I'll just enjoy it for as long as it lasts. I asked if many children talk about christmas in Y6, he said no. I guess it won't be long until he realises but then he can carry the magic on for his little sister.

Wow, being told in reception is pretty young  I can imagine there were one or two disgruntled parents trying to convince their children otherwise lol.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

My headteacher at primary told the whole school in an assembly... I was 7. My dc and ds 12. & 13 are both still firm believers. And we will let them believe as long as they want...
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

DS1 (yr 8)asked a couple of weeks ago. We had a lovely chat about the spirit of Christmas living in the hearts of adults. He's been fab with his younger siblings. He also loves all the run up to Christmas and is having a lovely few weeks.

Only downside for him is that we are definitely responsible for the Christmas list and no way will GTA5 be coming to our house. I think he was hoping for a rebellious Father Christmas. :lol:
Kiwimum

Post by Kiwimum »

I have always told mine that if you don't believe he doesn't bring you anything - apparently just the right words to keep a small flicker of belief in the mind of the most inquisitive child.

This year we moved to a house with no fireplace and when I pointed this out to them I think it was my 17 year old dd's chin that hit the ground first!! (Fortunately I was able to acquired Santa's Magic Key from the orange supermarket which will be placed outside on Christmas eve just to be sure he gets in).

Seriously, of course they know but they know better than to tell me because I still believe.... and if I don't get something nice in my stocking there's going to be trouble because I've been very good this year!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now