11+ and bilingual children (and now, also, younger children)

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kenyancowgirl

Re: 11+ and bilingual children (and now, also, younger child

Post by kenyancowgirl »

It sounds like Lincs are using CEM (sorry - not from that area so not clear if they are or not)...In our area, the test used to be weighted equally between the three areas (NVR, VR, Numeracy) but that was then deemed to be unfair to the non-mathematical children due to the close correlation between Numeracy ability and NVR ability...the proportion has now changed to 50% VR and 50% NVR/Numeracy to counter that balance. Although this appears to support your disadvantage to bilingual children hypothesis, you can see how it equally supports the disadvantage to non mathematical hypothesis from before?

The test is a little like a chocolate teapot - pretty useless because of the inbuilt flaws - the main one being that it makes a snapshot decision at age 10. But any snapshot decision at any time is going to please some and displease others. How would you measure the disadvantage of a bilingual child before sitting the test, to calculate the advantages they need? That recognises that some bilingual children are actually well ahead of their "British" counterparts at age 10 but that others are well behind? So gives advantages to the latter but not the former - and should the former then have less advantages than the British counterparts...it is so difficult to quantify, in a way that possibly dyslexia, dyspraxia, visual impairment etc, which can be given additional time/allowances, are not.
wednesdaygirl

Post by wednesdaygirl »

andyrob - I would just like to point out that JCQ regulations state that 'extra time will not be allowed if a candidate's literacy difficulties are primarily caused by English not being his/her first language'. Therefore EAL pupils are not allowed to have extra time in their GCSE or A level exams any more than they are in 11+ exams. I am not saying that it is fair, but this is the guidance we need to follow. If you know a school that grants its pupils extra time purely because of their limited acquisition of English, they are breaking the rules.
andyrob

Post by andyrob »

Thanks for the new comments above, and kenyancowgirl - yes, I know and agree with what you're saying and feel so frustrated.

wednesdaygirl - I wasn't particularly thinking about extra time for bilingual children, as given to Statemented/EHC Plan children, and I don't know a school that gives it in this situation. I just had in mind something like the availability of an English dictionary - one could be given to all children, or just those that have a need to look up words they don't understand. They are/were used in English (Language) GCSE exams if not others.

Interestingly, I have found out that the initial 11+ Registration Form (a copy of which is on the Lincs Consortium website) does ask:

Please indicate which language your child uses most often at home:
English: YES NO If not English please specify language: ……………………

You might feel that question alone could be confusing for parents who have poor English. Whatever, there seems not to be a set or recommended procedure for schools to follow if the answer is NO. So, on with finding out what common practice is.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Perhaps they ask that question so they can automatically knock a few marks off those children's scores behind the scenes. :?
mad?

Post by mad? »

mystery wrote:Perhaps they ask that question so they can automatically knock a few marks off those children's scores behind the scenes. :?
:lol: :lol:
mad?
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

It is interesting what you say about the wordyness of the 11+ maths. I think CEM is very prolem based and having two DC attend a french school and whose maths marks were high in all but the obvious problem solving I can see that even in maths second language DC are penalised... and yes as you yoirself pointed out like my DC within a very short time DC do pick up the language and will succeed if given the opportunity.

Many people dislike the system like Amber and Mad? but unfortunately we all have to put what's best for our DC before our principles. Ironically for me when I lived in an opt in area my Comprehensive alternative was appalling. I now live in a selective area and despite my DC not being deemed selective I know their non-selective school will give them an excellent education and set them up for the best Universities they may wish to attend. What we all want is a school that encourages our DC to succeed in the best way for them.
mystery

Post by mystery »

andyrob wrote:Thanks for the new comments above, and kenyancowgirl - yes, I know and agree with what you're saying and feel so frustrated.

wednesdaygirl - I wasn't particularly thinking about extra time for bilingual children, as given to Statemented/EHC Plan children, and I don't know a school that gives it in this situation. I just had in mind something like the availability of an English dictionary - one could be given to all children, or just those that have a need to look up words they don't understand. They are/were used in English (Language) GCSE exams if not others.

Interestingly, I have found out that the initial 11+ Registration Form (a copy of which is on the Lincs Consortium website) does ask:

Please indicate which language your child uses most often at home:
English: YES NO If not English please specify language: ……………………

You might feel that question alone could be confusing for parents who have poor English. Whatever, there seems not to be a set or recommended procedure for schools to follow if the answer is NO. So, on with finding out what common practice is.

:roll: That question is so badly worded .... and by someone for whom English is their first language, no doubt!