QE boys and Sutton schools test on the same day

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sajidahashmi

QE boys and Sutton schools test on the same day

Post by sajidahashmi »

The Queen Elizabeth Boys school and Sutton school's test paper is scheduled on the same day i.e Tuesday 19th Sep 2017. I live in the Borough of Hounslow and deciding to go with either QE or Sutton (not both) narrows the chances for my son. Has anyone faced this situation before? Can you please advise me how to make the choice here?

Regards,
SH
streathammum

Re: QE boys and Sutton schools test on the same day

Post by streathammum »

They are a very, very long way apart - no one could reasonably think they are aiming at the same set of children, therefore it's not unreasonable for them to have their exams on the same day.

I'm not sure when the deadline is to register for the QE exam but for Sutton it's in August, ie after the summer open evenings. Go and look at the schools then decide which is best for your boy and go with it.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Excellent advice from streathammum
sajidahashmi

Post by sajidahashmi »

Thank you for the advice. I will certainly take note of it
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The cold hard reality is that both schools have lots of boys to choose from and have chosen their date based on not clashing with the surrounding schools, not schools on the opposite side of London.

QE has come in a week earlier than usual, perhaps they feel they need more time to process the applications or they were avoiding another clash.

You have nothing to lose by contacting both schools and asking if they will get your ds sit on the backup date to avoid the class.

If this is a no go , then you also have nothing to lose by applying to both schools in the slim chance that you might get enough time between the two times to manage both. If you arrange a taxi to pick you up you might be able to make it.

I know several students who managed DAO and Mill Hill County second round on the same day but both schools are in North London/Herts.

QE is GL MC English and Maths. What format is the Sutton school? Would you be able to do the same prep for both? DG
Amber

Post by Amber »

Daogroupie wrote:If this is a no go , then you also have nothing to lose by applying to both schools in the slim chance that you might get enough time between the two times to manage both. If you arrange a taxi to pick you up you might be able to make it.
I have to disagree and say that I feel the pressure this would put on the poor child to think that he had to pass one of these exams at all costs would be something no loving parent should really want to countenance. Personally I think you need to make a choice. Look into them very carefully first and decide which one you are going to apply to - that would be my advice.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

+1 with Amber...make the decision now, which is the favourite. Tailor your preparation to that school and ensure your son knows that you love and support him regardless of whether or not he is successful in achieving a place.
kiki2017

Post by kiki2017 »

sajidahashmi wrote:The Queen Elizabeth Boys school and Sutton school's test paper is scheduled on the same day i.e Tuesday 19th Sep 2017. I live in the Borough of Hounslow and deciding to go with either QE or Sutton (not both) narrows the chances for my son. Has anyone faced this situation before? Can you please advise me how to make the choice here?

Regards,
SH
Hi SH,

My son faces this situation as well. As we want to apply both schools this year. There's normally a backup date in school for exams, which was arranged for the ill child who was unable to attend the exams on the initial scheduled date. Let's see if one of the schools can manage the child to the backup date. If so, son can do both exams. Otherwise, we have to make a decision for a favourite. Thanks.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

The back-up date is for illness, as you have identified. Unless you fancy forging a doctor's note, you will not be able to make use of the back-up date.

Why do you want your child to sit both tests? There is nowhere in London from where you could reasonably commute to both schools. If you're planning to move, bear in mind that the gap between getting an offer and starting school is at most six months, and is less if you get a place from the waiting list. That's not a lot of time to make such an important change, especially if you have other children whose schools also need considering.

Also, the schools are of very different characters. Is it really true that your son would be just as happy at either one? Please think clearly about this before you put your child through the stress of sitting tests for a wide variety of schools.
Enjoyingthejourney

Post by Enjoyingthejourney »

Daogroupie, do children really sit two exams on the same day? The idea alone is exhausting.