out of catchment boys grammar school

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ToadMum

Re: out of catchment boys grammar school

Post by ToadMum »

PurpleDuck wrote:
takeiteasyparent wrote:Wilson, Wallington, Sutton Grammar
Theoretically, yes, there is nothing to stop OP from applying but it is over 20 miles from Harrow to Sutton and according to Google maps roughly a 1.5 hours journey each way, and that's outside of rush hour... Plus a certain proportion of places in SGS and Wilson's are offered to boys in local 'preference' postcode areas. Not sure whether Wallington do the same at present. Best to check the latest admissions policy documents on the respective websites.

Registration for both boys' and girls' Sutton grammars' SET in September is now open, so parents of children currently in year 5 can start applying now. Note the deadline for the SET registration is earlier this year, on 19 August. The first round test (SET) date is 14 September (according to SGS website).
So they would have to move - as they would do for St Olaves. Just because a school allows anyone from anywhere to register to sit its entrance exams, when it comes to actually putting the school on one's CAF it doesn't mean that there isn't a distance / complexity beyond which the journey would be simply ridiculous.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Amber

Post by Amber »

This kind of question gets asked on this forum so often that maybe someone who agrees with this kind of thing ought to collate a list of catchment-free grammar schools so people from all over the country/world could consult it ahead of exam season. I am not offering as I would rather make a list entitled 'differences between grammar schools and non-grammar schools' for the same audience. It would be far shorter. :wink:
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Have you just volunteered to put together the latter list, Amber? :wink:
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Amber wrote:This kind of question gets asked on this forum so often that maybe someone who agrees with this kind of thing ought to collate a list of catchment-free grammar schools so people from all over the country/world could consult it ahead of exam season. I am not offering as I would rather make a list entitled 'differences between grammar schools and non-grammar schools' for the same audience. It would be far shorter. :wink:
I think it is totally bizarre to want to apply for schools hours away from where one lives (outside of the actual need to move because of work etc).

However, just to be helpful:

Colchester Royal Grammar School
Pates, Cheltenham (mixed)
Crypt, Gloucester
Sir Thomas Rich, Gloucester
Marling, Stroud
Colyton, Colyton.

I think that's about it?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Harrow to Colyton would be rather interesting; I seriously hope OP has a sensible commuting distance in mind.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Amber

Post by Amber »

PurpleDuck wrote:Have you just volunteered to put together the latter list, Amber? :wink:
Differences between grammar schools and other schools.

1. You have to pass a test when you are ten to get into a grammar school.

I think that is it?
doodles

Post by doodles »

ToadMum wrote:
Amber wrote:This kind of question gets asked on this forum so often that maybe someone who agrees with this kind of thing ought to collate a list of catchment-free grammar schools so people from all over the country/world could consult it ahead of exam season. I am not offering as I would rather make a list entitled 'differences between grammar schools and non-grammar schools' for the same audience. It would be far shorter. :wink:
I think it is totally bizarre to want to apply for schools hours away from where one lives (outside of the actual need to move because of work etc).

However, just to be helpful:

Colchester Royal Grammar School
Pates, Cheltenham (mixed)
Crypt, Gloucester
Sir Thomas Rich, Gloucester
Marling, Stroud
Colyton, Colyton.

I think that's about it?
You can add

The Skinners' School, Tunbridge Wells
The Judd School,Tonbridge

Both super selective GS for boys, although Judd's "open" places are lmited and of course distance will always come into play in a tie situation :lol:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

I think that is it?
Amber! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Amber

Post by Amber »

Rob Clark wrote:
I think that is it?
Amber! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh did I miss something off? Do feel free to add to it Rob - there is still some space on the page. :wink:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

PurpleDuck wrote:Harrow to Colyton would be rather interesting; I seriously hope OP has a sensible commuting distance in mind.
They could sign up over in 'Essex' for a detour on the private transport from inside the M25 to Colchester :lol: - or there's always tube to Paddington, mainline to Stroud for Marling?

Apologies, OP,for these flights of fancy, I'm sure you have got a grip on the distance / journey thing.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now