HABS Girls vs Henrietta Barnet

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
onehappymum

Re: HABS Girls vs Henrietta Barnet

Post by onehappymum »

So we sat down with DD and discussed. We all gave our point of views, met few ex&current- HBS and HABS girls. DDs dilemma was more on the facilities, clubs they offer and how inclusive are both the schools. The choice was left to DD to select and she chose HBS.

Thank you to 11+ forum throughout this journey.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I am surprised that facilities and clubs and inclusion were a top priority for your dd and I am surprised HBS won on those categories.

What do you mean by inclusion? DG
onehappymum

Post by onehappymum »

Daogroupie wrote:I am surprised that facilities and clubs and inclusion were a top priority for your dd and I am surprised HBS won on those categories.

What do you mean by inclusion? DG
It was never a top priority. DD wanted to know how much HBS has to offer vs HABS and whether or not that is more important in longer term.

No surprise to us that HBS won as they have a lot of clubs on offer . In terms of facilities they have great sport (except the swimming pool) facilities. A lot of them play squads as well. They have a very good music and drama , which DD is interested in.

On subject of inclusion - she was worried about the mix and how at home she would feel at HBS. We knew very well that HABS has a great pastoral care and effforts it puts into including new girls (they have HABS juniors) into the school. We met few ex and current girls at HBS and they were all of the opinion that as the school is smaller (fewer forms and smaller class size than HABS) plus all girls come from different backgrounds and schools - they all are looking to make new friends.

Academically both are good - HBS a tiny bit better on league tables but we wanted an all rounded school. We are happy with the decision at the moment. Time will tell and if ever DD feels like going to HABS in future they do 13+ and 16+.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

There is no 13 plus at Habs, in fact I can't think of a single girl's private school that offers 13 plus.

HBS sport could not be called great by any stretch of the imagination but hopefully it caters for your dd's needs They did not have a single girl doing A level music last year and if you look at their A level exam results you can see that they are predominantly a Science school, though their Physics numbers are astonishing low at 16 compared to 60's and 70s for Biology and Chemistry and 80s for maths.

Their clubs all have to take place at lunchtimes because of the travel issues after school so that must be quite restrictive as there are only then five options for clubs instead of ten.

But clearly they offer what your dd is interested in and that is the most important thing. Well done for making your decision. It must be a relief. DG
onehappymum

Post by onehappymum »

Daogroupie wrote:There is no 13 plus at Habs, in fact I can't think of a single girl's private school that offers 13 plus.

HBS sport could not be called great by any stretch of the imagination but hopefully it caters for your dd's needs They did not have a single girl doing A level music last year and if you look at their A level exam results you can see that they are predominantly a Science school, though their Physics numbers are astonishing low at 16 compared to 60's and 70s for Biology and Chemistry and 80s for maths.

Their clubs all have to take place at lunchtimes because of the travel issues after school so that must be quite restrictive as there are only then five options for clubs instead of ten.

But clearly they offer what your dd is interested in and that is the most important thing. Well done for making your decision. It must be a relief. DG
DG it is a great relief and we are more than happy with DD's choice. I have had friends who got in at 13+ because they do offer occassional places when available.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

There is no admission at 13 plus but there are odd places that become available in Y7 to Y11 now and then. You are in the hands of others though. There are no 13 plus places to apply for unless a girl in that year leaves. DG
onehappymum

Post by onehappymum »

Daogroupie wrote:There is no admission at 13 plus but there are odd places that become available in Y7 to Y11 now and then. You are in the hands of others though. There are no 13 plus places to apply for unless a girl in that year leaves. DG
Precisely. DD is perfectly happy with her choice and that is what matters at this stage.. We could not have been happier but to go with her choice.
meeshie

Post by meeshie »

I am not sure where information that HBS clubs only take place at lunchtimes and not after school comes from. My dd is currently in year 7 and enjoys a wide variety of extra curricular activities. The timetable changes each term. This term on Mondays for example there are 12 extra curricular activities- 1 before school, 7 at lunch time and 4 after school. The only day that here are no after school activities is Friday,which I believe is the norm for most schools. I know for a fact that year 7 students are advised to do at least 3 extra curricular activities. These range from rowing, fencing, netball, Tang Soo Do, various orchestras, speech and drama, creative writing, current affairs, football and the list goes on. HBS should not be viewed as some kind of academic factory. The girls excel at sport and a number of other activities. My daughter participates in 2 after school activities and a number of lunch times clubs. I suggest prospective parents take a look at the newsletters on the HBS website to see the success the of the girls in a number of sports against local schools and Barnet inter school competitions.

My daughter was awarded a scholarship at Habs, but I have no doubt that I made the right decision y choosing HBS. She was the only girl from her primary school, but now has a lovely group of friends. She is doing well academically and enjoys playing in a number of musical ensembles.

HBS really is a wonderful school! :D