2016 exam

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sandunip

2016 exam

Post by sandunip »

My son did 3 MOC exams. 2 in Wallington and one in Sutton. for all 3 test his score is between 227-231. I am stress now. and it seems he has no improvement from the first test to the last test. Can ay one know how can I make him improve? we are doing bond papers and vocabulary practice. I have no idea how can I tackle his silly mistakes in Maths.
PurpleDuck

Re: 2016 exam

Post by PurpleDuck »

Hi Sandunip,

Are your son's scores much lower than the top scores, or just a little bit? There are still 3 months to go so maybe you don't need to worry too much?

As for silly mistakes in maths, my both children are also guilty of those and they are usually a result of them not reading the questions properly, or reading just half of a question and making up the other half, especially when they are trying to work as quickly as possible... If your son does something similar, maybe it could help if he underlined the key words in the maths questions to help him focus on what the question really is about.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

Hi Sandunip, we do what Purpleduck has suggested and underline the key words in the question. This seems to help implant the info into ds's head. How about starting the GL papers (if relevant for Sutton)? It might help to narrow down the particular area of maths your child is struggling with. I've found out through this that ds is sloppy on simple calculations (when done at speed) and bus time table type questions.

At this stage I would use the focus tests in Bond to go over the weaker concepts. Sorry I can't help more as we are going through this for the first time and ds progress has been inconsistent so far!
doodles

Post by doodles »

Sandunip how long was it between the first and last tests, did he realistically have any chance of improving or were they close together?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now