Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MissionGrammar

Exam date conflict

Post by MissionGrammar »

Hi,

How can we handle when 2 exams are on same date
SW Consortium and Slough exams are on same date (10/09)
I contacted them and they refused to change

Thanks
scary mum

Re: Exam date conflict

Post by scary mum »

This has been asked many times. You will just have to decide which one your DC should sit, unless they are regions that share results? I don't think they are. I think they hope that children sit exams for local schools. Where do you live?
scary mum
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I don't think the SW consortium and the Slough consortium are even the same exam so you won't have the option of even asking to share the results. You'll need to look at the admissions criteria to see which one you have a better shot at, look at which one is more feasible to travel to and pick that one.

There are limited dates for the exams so that schools can get the results put before the CAF needs to be submitted. While schools will look at neighbouring areas when setting dates, they won't expect it to matter that exam dates clash with schools further away as realistically very few would even consider it.

Most schools won't offer an alternative date except for medical reasons (with proof being required)
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

How long ago did you contact them? These dates were released last year.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I assume you must have registered for both tests already? Is it too late to tell one of them that you forgot to say that your beliefs don't allow you to sit exams on Saturdays, and find a friendly someone to confirm this?

(Sorry, but often at some point someone will suggest pretending that your child is ill and getting a medical practitioner to back you up, which is equally fraudulent :shock: ).

Unfortunately, although there must be those for whom schools in Slough and the ones in SW Herts which take non-catchment applicants are within equally convenient travelling distance, if the schools concerned think about this at all when planning their exam dates, they probably fairly quickly dismiss the idea as not being worth planning dates around.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
MissionGrammar

Post by MissionGrammar »

I live in south harrow, both were important to us, SW are not in catchment but we could move by October
I have been suggested by others to pretend to be ill on the day which I will not be consider.
we will go for Slough then
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

You would still need to get a medical certificate.
In addition I think both exams are set by CEM (Slough definitely is) so you'd still be found out potentially.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

MissionGrammar wrote: I have been suggested by others to pretend to be ill on the day which I will not be consider.
Your DC has the benefit of a parent of principle :D .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
piggys

Post by piggys »

Indeed Toadmum; I guess there are some very wealthy GPs dotted around the country who run a lucrative sideline in fabricating sick notes for helicopter parents :lol:
piggys

Post by piggys »

OP I was NOT implying that you are one such parent - in fact I'd say you are the opposite. But people pretending to be ill/religious etc is a bit low really (although folk do all that and much more to get into schools but that is another thread).