Year 3 CATS

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bunglechips

Year 3 CATS

Post by bunglechips »

DS has come home clutching his CATS scores. He has just finished year 3.

His scores are very low when compared to DD who is in year 5, but he is at least as bright; very mathematically minded and a voracious reader.

His highest score is 98 compared to DD with 141. His lowest was 82 in his best subject (DD's lowest was 128).

Is there any validity in using these tests at such a young age (he has just turned 8) and should I be worried ?

Thanks.
bunglechips

Re: Year 3 CATS

Post by bunglechips »

That should read 'he has just turned 8' and not 'he has just turned cool...!'.
CestMoi

Post by CestMoi »

I have found that my children's standardised results have been remarkably constant in one case, and rising spectacularly in the next child's case.

In the second case, the results were high but vastly improved in year 3. I correlate that with an improved ability to focus and persist in answering difficult questions.

Do you think he has got the maturity to focus for the test duration and apply himself when the qs are "hard"? Does he do many exams at school?

If not, I suggest that it's exam technique that is the issue and that this should naturally fix itself as your son matures.
bunglechips

Post by bunglechips »

Thanks Cestmoi. I suspect lack of focus may be the problem. He can concentrate for a very long time when wrapped up in his science books, but is easily distracted when something is less than interesting.

I'm not sure if he does many exams at school. I suspect not, but then again, I only realised that they had done CATS when he arrived home with his results.

He also told me that his first few tests didn't register on the computer, therefore he had to retake them !
CestMoi

Post by CestMoi »

Familiarity with the computer package may also have contributed, with more time focused on the computer part as opposed to the questions.

Keep reading and talking to him, do the odd Schofield and Sims with him (appropriate level for his year group) and take another look in a year.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now