11+ confusion

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
LegoFriends

11+ confusion

Post by LegoFriends »

Hello All

I am confused as ever and the more I try to search, the more confused I get.

DD is going to be in Y5 in September. I would like her to sit entrance exams for independent schools and not grammar because we are not in the catchment for any grammar school.

So the indie schools that we are considering (which does depend on the open days and how my DD likes them) are St Helens, Northwood College, and St Margaret's.

What I am confused about is this. Are the entrance exams for the Independent schools called "11+"? or does 11+ refer to grammar school exams?

Also, I know that some schools are not doing the VR and Non-VR exams any more but would it be wise for DD to study these?

I would like to buy some books which can help DD during the course of the year but most of them say 11+.

I am so sorry if this is so obvious and also apologise if this has already been posted. There are some fantastic people here with so much more experience and knowledge than myself. I felt it would be better to post my question directly.

Thank you.
Aethel

Re: 11+ confusion

Post by Aethel »

There is an "independent schools" section! Try there...
But the "11 plus" reference I think is just meaning the age when the tests are taken:
So both private and grammar exams taken in year 6 when the child is 10-11 years old are eleven-plus tests.
There are some areas with 12+ tests (eg Bucks) as another option, and
Independent "common entrance" is usually at 13+ (Ie aged 12-13 years)
Is she at state primary now? I'm guessing so as a "prep" school would usually explain the system to you as part of your paid journey.

I'm sure someone who knows more about the indie route than me will come along!

But what you need to know is that each indie will have its own exam age testing/test paper structure/requirements. Stuff like VR /NVR is only useful if they are likely to be tested: there are KS2 books to cover in-school learning topics and stretch an able child, no point in teaching exam material/question styles that she is never going to need to know! So look on the schools website or talk to their admissions officer about what they recommend for state applicants.
Northdad

Post by Northdad »

All of the Indie Schools you have listed are tested in January for 11+. In all cases a Maths paper and an English one. Go on their websites. Your daughter will sit the North London consortium Paper Group 1 for St H, North London consortium paper for Group 2 for Northwood College and a St Margarets paper.

There is no VR or NVR for these tests. Focus on on Maths, reading, comprehension and writing.
LegoFriends

Post by LegoFriends »

Many thanks for your replies. It is much clearer in my mind now.

Much appreciated.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now