Parents that are lying about their address

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rob Clark

Re: Parents that are lying about their address

Post by Rob Clark »

With due respect to you G55, I would be surprised if there was no non-selective school in any area.
G55 didn't say that there was no non-selective school, they said there were no comprehensives. In an area such as south Bucks the GSs take roughly 30% of the children, therefore the Upper Schools are missing that percentage of the cohort each year and can't truly be described as 'comprehensive'.

I don't have any particular axe to grind as I had one DC at a GS and one at an Upper (both now finished) and their schools were equidistant from our house, about 20 minutes' walk each.

Personally I hope my DCs have friends who enjoy their company and who stand by them when times are tough, I couldn't give two hoots how 'bright' they are!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Personally I hope my DCs have friends who enjoy their company and who stand by them when times are tough, I couldn't give two hoots how 'bright' they are!
+1

Who can disagree with that?
mystery

Post by mystery »

tiffinboys wrote:Great West Lothian question.

Is annex built to overcome grammar school ban?

If so, as new grammars would be now be allowed, so get these two schools (a new kind of Brexit) separated and live happily ever after. :wink:
That is definitely the grand plan and openly stated as such. But new grammars are not yet allowed. So for the moment it will be running at 90 girls per year, no boys, because the main site is all girls. The buildings were paid for by the local authority although it is an extension to an existing academy. I presume they are receiving some kind of subsidy too to be able to run an outpost for 90 girls per annum? Not sure.
PerpetualStudent

Post by PerpetualStudent »

I'm afraid I've missed the right moment to add this point but a few comments back it was suggested that the Netherlands (along with France etc) operate a Comprehensive system. Since this has popped up a few times in various threads (which wander into Comprehensive vs Selective territory) I thought I should point out that the education system in the Netherlands is tracked with selection from 12 years diverting kids into specific tracks.
This link is to a recent report assessing the strengths and weaknesses of the system.
http://www.oecd.org/edu/netherlands-201 ... 658-en.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Apologies for the interruption.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Thanks for the post and the very useful link, perpetual student.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

PerpetualStudent wrote:I'm afraid I've missed the right moment to add this point but a few comments back it was suggested that the Netherlands (along with France etc) operate a Comprehensive system. Since this has popped up a few times in various threads (which wander into Comprehensive vs Selective territory) I thought I should point out that the education system in the Netherlands is tracked with selection from 12 years diverting kids into specific tracks.
This link is to a recent report assessing the strengths and weaknesses of the system.
http://www.oecd.org/edu/netherlands-201 ... 658-en.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Apologies for the interruption.
That might have been me, so thanks for clarifying and apologies if I gave wrong information (serves me right for using wiki as my source! :oops: )

Anyway, without me quoting any more specific examples which might be wrong, its fair to say that some countries use selective schooling and some don't. And in my experience, at least from foreign people I've met, 'bright' people from countries who don't have selective schools tend to do just as well in life as bright people who went to selective schools in countries like the UK. So for me this would tend to disprove the argument that bright children who go to a mixed ability comprehensive type school are some how disadvantaged by having to mix with "less bright" children.

The only children who are disadvantaged IMO are the ones who go to a non-selective school in a country/area where selective schools exists.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

As some other posters have kindly advised us that the anecdotes don't make data. One can even drop off from school and become Lord Sugar or Richard Branson.

As for data, here is a link which suggest otherwise, based on dfe's data.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/le ... GCSEs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyhow, we can agree to disagree.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

tiffinboys wrote:As some other posters have kindly advised us that the anecdotes don't make data. One can even drop off from school and become Lord Sugar or Richard Branson.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/le ... GCSEs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes but all the data which you keep quoting seems to relate to the UK, where selection exists! Do you have any data from countries which don't have selection which indicates that the general level of education (or even the level attained by the brightest) suffers due to that?

As you've repeatedly highlighted, there seems to be a problem with many of our non-selective state schools and any child ('bright' or 'less bright') who attends these schools will be disadvantaged. I think we probably agree on that. Where we disagree is on how to solve this problem.

You seem to think that the solution is to create more grammar schools, but can't you see that this will ONLY improve things for those minority of children who attend the grammars! It is likely to make things even worse for the majority who don't. That's not "equity" is it? Its making the big inequality which already exists in our society and is the cause of a multitude of problems even greater!
loopylala

Post by loopylala »

tiffinboys wrote:As some other posters have kindly advised us that the anecdotes don't make data. One can even drop off from school and become Lord Sugar or Richard Branson.

I may be missing the point you are making here, in which case I apologise. However, there is no mention of the type of school those DCs attended (that I can see, and again I apologise if I've missed it) so is it safe to assume they all went to comps?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

@surferfish

I have never advocated to look after the bright children only and ignore all others. Abolishing few grammars that we are left with and not allowing to have more is more detremental to the bright children. That's my point and you may disagree with that.

As far as the data being of UK, well yes, I am concerned with UK, so all my input is related to UK. I don't know if any foreign model can be readily applied here, be it from Germany, Singapore or India.

@loopylala

You raise a good point. Have a look at detailed data in dfe statistics and drill down to type of schools. Do let us know if grammars are contributing significantly to the data.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now