Catchment Areas - help please!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tellme

Catchment Areas - help please!

Post by tellme »

Hi,

Is there a website where I can enter my current postcode and see which all grammar school catchments it falls under (rather than going to each school website).
Also, is there a new rule about being resident in the catchment for atleast 2 years to be eligible to apply to the grammar school.

We are in West London and DS is in Year 5 now, but I am totally confused by the whole admission/catchment process.

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Mum
Tinkers

Re: Catchment Areas - help please!

Post by Tinkers »

As far as I know, no such website exists. You will have to check each individual school's admissions criteria to be sure.
Different schools also have different rules when it comes to residency as well. My DDs school take the address you are at when applying for the test. Others require you to be in catchment earlier than that. Some don't even have a catchment or have spaces for those not in catchment.

Are there any schools in particular you are thinking of?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Colchester Royal Grammar School has no catchment area. Bits of Colchester are quite pretty; I was thinking that only yesterday as I sat in a traffic jam alongside St Helena School. It also gives the lie to the idea that Essex is flat :lol: .

Abellio Greater Anglia isn't the most reliable rail line, but I think there are some quite fast services into London from Colchester, if you have to commute.

The grammar schools of the King Edward Foundation in Birmingham are also superselective. Bits of Birmingham are also very attractive but obviously a rather less easy commute to London.

Of course, there's always QE :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Can I just issue a plea not to be a "grammar school or bust" type? They are just schools after all. Do you have no good schools near where you live? Please don't make your child sit umpteen exams in a scattergun approach - visit them & find a school you think your child will be happy at.
scary mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now