State primaries' view of grammars and 11 plus

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

wileycoyote

State primaries' view of grammars and 11 plus

Post by wileycoyote »

I have been told - at the school gate - that my child's state primary can't, and won't, give any information at all about grammar school entry, 11 plus topics etc and that this has been dictated to them by the Dept of Education. There is certainly no info that I can easily find, and the "year 6 transition meeting" was held on a date after the grammar test had been taken in my area. Apparently they are "not allowed" to because the presumption is that all children have value the same and to assist in promoting some over others wouldn't be fair.

Is this likely to be true? What are the rules, if any?
Daogroupie

Re: State primaries' view of grammars and 11 plus

Post by Daogroupie »

It is reasonable to ask the Class teacher if they think that your student is grammar school material.

But the Class teacher will not be spending any extra time with your student to help them get into grammar school as that is not fair on the other students.

There is plenty of help and advice and materials on this forum to help you. DG
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Daogroupie wrote:It is reasonable to ask the Class teacher if they think that your student is grammar school material.
They may however not be prepared to answer.
They may also not necessarily give you the right answer.

DDs year 4 teacher told us she would have no problem getting into GS and that it would suit her better than our local school.
Her year 5 teacher said. He didn't think she would be successful and thought she might struggle if she did get in. (He also added he was surprised most years over who got in and who didn't)

Year 4 teacher was correct and she is doing well.

State primaries are not allowed to help prepare students for the exam though.
tropicmama

Post by tropicmama »

I received pretty much the exact same line from our school. They basically said that they do not support or provide any type of 11+ preparation. But I believe this is to be expected and is the same with other primary schools in the area (apart from the private ones which always, year after year, have disproportionately higher percentage of 11+ passers).

Tinkers, our experience is eerily familiar to yours although no proof yet if Year 4 teacher was right. MY DS just sat the 11+ so no results yet.

However, at the end of Year 4, I asked his class teacher what he thought and he said that he believed DS would thrive in a grammar school. Months later, Year 5 teacher (who was new and only joined the school mid-year) didn't really say anything concrete or useful about my DS apart from giving him a lower then expected literacy report (although the comments only centred around his handwriting, which I admit can be improved). I am hoping Year 4 teacher is right - he has known my DS since he was in Year 1.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

wileycoyote wrote:I have been told - at the school gate - that my child's state primary can't, and won't, give any information at all about grammar school entry, 11 plus topics etc and that this has been dictated to them by the Dept of Education. There is certainly no info that I can easily find, and the "year 6 transition meeting" was held on a date after the grammar test had been taken in my area. Apparently they are "not allowed" to because the presumption is that all children have value the same and to assist in promoting some over others wouldn't be fair.

Is this likely to be true? What are the rules, if any?
Our grammar school transition evening also happened after tests had been applied for (though not taken yet). Our head was reasonably relaxed about it but certainly didn't vouchsafe any information though would answer questions (though without up to date knowledge). We asked out year 4 teachers if they thought it would be appropriate to apply for dd. They said yes but I do think that primary teachers often don't know what is expected by different tests and different schools (as indeed why should they? It is nothing they need to be aware of).
There is so much information out there though that it is easy to find. Primary schools haev enough to do without assisting the minority of families who wish to pursue the 11+.
SlighlyStressedMum

Post by SlighlyStressedMum »

I asked our yr 4 teacher if she thought he should be taking the 11plus. To be honest I only asked to see what response I would get, I had already decided to put him in based on his general performance all through school. She was non committal at best.

At the start of yr 5 there was an invitation on 11 plus prep lunch club. Ds was not invited to it. I was not surprised based on the schools failure to revognise he needed stretching. I put him in for one hour a week grp tuition myself. At Easter of yr 5 they asked him to join this club with one term left. It was terrible, the teacher taking it didn't know much about the exam, they just slowly worked through past papers. When I couldn't answer one of the maths questions ds was stuck on I told him to ask the teacher, he couldn't answer it.

My son took the exam, got an excellent mark and is currently in his 4th wk of yr 7. I don't think (at least in my area, Essex) that state schools have much of a clue to be honest. Which is a shame because judging by the numbers that take it the private schools know exactly what they are doing.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I teach in Kent, it was only when I took a break (because of injury) and started tutoring , that I found out anything about the format of the test. Unless the school is an academy, we are not allowed to tutor or teach for the test and few teachers know much about it. Quite frankly, there is so much that we need to cover in the curriculum.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

In Bucks we have an opt-out Transfer Test.

The LA prepare a presentation for schools to inform parents in the final term of Year 5. Further information is on the LA website - Heads have to sign a form saying they have followed the guidance.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Guest55 wrote:In Bucks we have an opt-out Transfer Test.

The LA prepare a presentation for schools to inform parents in the final term of Year 5. Further information is on the LA website - Heads have to sign a form saying they have followed the guidance.
That is obviously true, G55... but our Bucks school was quite adament that the 11+ was not the way to go. Our talk appeared to be grudgingly given, and it was often repeated that we did not have to take the 11+ and could (even should!) opt out. I am not sure that is the norm or if the head teacher put her own spin on the proceedings, but certainly there was no enthusiasm for the 11+ system.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Haven't State Primary teachers got enough to be getting on with? Without giving Petunia and her histrionic parents guidance on grammar schools.If they are that obsessed with selective education they have already navigated to the right place we've got expect help/advice offered free and a online shop(not free) and everything for your convenience.

What more do they want?

Plus, I thought CEM was all about the old national curriculum,why would any tutoring be required? :lol: :lol: :lol:where all you have to do is read,read and more reading-sorted.

btw-why is poor Petunia getting it in the neck all time-poor dear-how about Hattie a bit scatty but ever so nice with rich and well connected parents!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now